Pump recommendations/Return questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm trying to order everything so it's there when I get home and I'm looking for some submersible pump recommendations for my sump.

I need about 1200-1500 gph, it'll be traveling around 4-5' to get to the tank.

Also, on the topic of returns, how do you have the return setup in your display tank? I'll be drilling this tank for the overflow and wasn't sure if I should order a return kit and drill a hole for that or if I should just have it go over the lip of the tank. If you have pictures of your return please add them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Most have the returns hidden in the back of the overflow dividers, but if you don't, then just running it over the top of the tank won't hurt ya any.
Quiet One 6000 will have 1214gph at 5' of head loss.

Most have the returns hidden in the back of the overflow dividers, but if you don't, then just running it over the top of the tank won't hurt ya any.
Quiet One 6000 will have 1214gph at 5' of head loss.

Have you used that pump? I think the 5000 was recommended to me by the guys at glass-holes but when I searched it online the reviews came back kind of mixed between it being horribly loud or being reasonably quiet.

I have had 2 mag-drives and they are noisier than I expected them to be. I cant speak to the quiet ones.

Sicce or Ehime is the way to go for high GPH return pumps. You only need to move your tank 4x through the sump though.

I love the mag drive I have on my 55. Totally silent. Only time I've ever had noise out of it is if I bump the return line and it touches the glass...but that is user error rather than the fault of the pump.

Sicce or Ehime is the way to go for high GPH return pumps. You only need to move your tank 4x through the sump though.

That's where I'm getting confused. I was told you want to move the volume of your tank around 10x so I went with the 3000 overflow kit which works best at around 1200 gph, so I'm looking for a pump that will match that. Should I have gone with a smaller overflow kit that does less gph and made up the difference with powerheads in the display tank?

Yup, I've used it in the past. You said you wanted 1200-1500gph, is that before or after head loss? The 5000 won't have your gph after 5' of headloss
The 5000 will only have 1041gph after 5' of head loss

http://www.lifegardaquatics.com/products/

Hmm, I'm thinking it'd be after head loss. You liked the 6000?

I love the mag drive I have on my 55. Totally silent. Only time I've ever had noise out of it is if I bump the return line and it touches the glass...but that is user error rather than the fault of the pump.

I was looking at the mag drives and thinking of maybe using two of the 9.5's as opposed to one larger one.

I have had 2 mag-drives and they are noisier than I expected them to be. I cant speak to the quiet ones.

Were they horribly noisier or just not as quiet as expected? My freshwater tank has an fx5 and fx6 both running and I don't even notice the noise so if it'd be comparable to that I wouldn't mind.

One should always dial pumps back. This way the GPH can be matched up perfectly. Having the ball valve on the return line is actually healthy for a pump and can help extend its life from last I discussed the topic.

Back
Top Bottom