Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Purchasing an existing reef?

Hello all, I am in the process of setting up a new SW tank (can see where I'm at here: Outlaw's somewhat roundabout journey.).

As I mention, I'm totally happy with the tank itself. Recently, an existing 75 gal reef tank has come up for sale locally for $200. With stand, canopy, sump, skimmer etc. I will need to spend at least this much still to get my existing tank up and running.

I was wondering if you had any experience/advice on transporting, setting up an established tank.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 08-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Should clarify that I am NOT happy with the tank itself.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Does the new tank still have livestock or are you just buying the equipment?
Old 08-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

100 lbs of live rock with "several covered in corals" and a large carpet coral. No fish I believe.
Old 08-17-2014, 04:47 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Purchasing an existing reef?

Carpet anemone? If so they can be pretty aggressive and may eat any fish that come to close. But as far as moving goes it's pretty easy actually, here's what I recommend
1. Have enough new sw at your house to completely fill the tank and do a ~50% wc should anything die off and cause a spike
2. Ditch whatever sand comes with the tank and start with fresh sand, it's pretty much the cheapest part of start up and can cause all sorts of issues if you use the old sand.
3. Bring enough buckets/tubs to keep the rock in water for the drive home. You may want to put the ones with corals in a cooler with a heater depending on how long the drive is (same for the nem but a separate cooler).
4. Monitor params closely for a few weeks after setup and have plenty of water on hand do wc's should gtr need arise.

All that being said, and this is JMO, but if the money was similar I'd rather set up my own tank and choose what goes in than take some one else's

Edit: don't reuse any old tank water and be sure to acclimate the live stock to your new water before adding to the tank.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks a lot!
So, basically attempt to keep the corals alive somewhere, and start the tank fresh (new cycle etc) with the existing live rock and new sand? This would also allow me to clean up the tank I presume. I just feel that a standard 75 would be a better choice than my 60 tall, and need to make the decision before I officially start. As I need to buy a skimmer and convert a 20 gal tank to a sump anyway, this is practically the same cost and comes with t5ho lighting with timer, heaters, temp controller, sump, skimmer, power heads etc. I could probably use their stand for another tank as I just built one that will accommodate a 75 or a 90.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408306714.086652.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	247088

The ad.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you keep the rocks submerged in water you should have no/a very small cycle. If you want to clean the tank just throw a power head in with the rocks/corals while you clean and then set it up.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Wow, thanks again!

Tags
chasing, reef, sting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com