Purigen killing cleaner crew.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjzelnar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone,
This is my first time with trying to build a saltwater reef. I have a 29 gal biocube. Bought live sand, live rock and prepared sea saltwater. I removed the balls from filter and put in charcoal in a bag and purigen in a bag. However, the bag the local fish store sold me had too large of mesh and purigen entered tank. It is all over my rocks and probably the sand. I took it out because I read one doesn't use it during cycling, but it is still all over in tank .yesterday put 2 hermit crabs in tank and a few snails to be on cleanup crew. They dies within hours. I think they are eating the purigen. Can that kill them? I don't know what to do now. Can anyone advise me?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I believe the Purigen is not the problem. A few questions...

What size tank?
How long has your tank been set up?
What type filtration are you using?
What testing are you doing?
What are your water parameters?

I might be able to answer better after knowing the above.

Dick

I would say it's more likely an acclimation problem. How did you acclimate them? Inverts are very sensitive to salinity changes.

I think you should just buy the pre packaged purigen.. I've tried several media bags with purigrn and none of them worked. That being said purigen is stopped by far my favorite filter media. You just need to spend the bit of extra money on the prepackaged stuff.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I made my own purigen bags out of fine mesh brewing bags. Its the same stuff the pre packaged purigen bags are made out of and it cost me $3 to make 8 bags.

My tank is a 29 gallon biocube. It has a wet/dry filter assembly. I removed the bio balls. I have polyvinyl ber media pad accurel brand. Matrix carbon in a bag. And then the purigen in a bag on top of that. Then a small sponge in next area then pump. The tank has only been up since Tuesday. I am seein some some green on tonga rock and a pink on other rock. I have 3 snails that are still alive and a serpent star. The temp is 78-80 . I also bought a tap water filter to deionizer our tap water but did not need to use it. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414252557.861046.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1414252557.861046.jpg Hope this helps. Also took a sampl in to get tested and ther was just some low ammonia and they said it had not cycled yet. Also, I don't know if I should have lights on when cycling? Thanks for advice

I made my own purigen bags out of fine mesh brewing bags. Its the same stuff the pre packaged purigen bags are made out of and it cost me $3 to make 8 bags.

I'll have to try that

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought the crabs were part of the cleanup crew that would help that happen?

No, ammonia is toxic to snails and crabs also. I think you need to do some research on the nitrogen cycle, there are some good articles on this forum on it.

Get a cocktail shrimp. Toss it into some pantyhose and let it sit in the tank. That will start the process. Grab yourself an API test kit so you can watch your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels. As the shrimp decomps, the bacteria will begin to populate your tank. You'll see the ammonia go up, then down as it turns into nitrite, which will then go down and become nitrates. Then you can use water changes to bring the nitrates down. You'll want the nitrates to stay under 40 to avoid beginning to be toxic.

In terms of the filter media you are using, there isn't any need to run anything while cycling your tank. You can even turn the lights off until it is done to prevent algae growth. This will save you some money as well. If you can, use a siphon hose to suck out what remaining Purigen is laying around in the tank. As others have mentioned some ideas to help contain the product, they are possibilities. I use a product called The Bag, which is made by Seachem to contain their products. It will not get out of this bag. Just make sure to change out or re-energize your Purigen monthly to keep your water pristine and crystal.

Back
Top Bottom