purigen vs carbon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pinda

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 70 gal aqua clear filter and am about to purchase purigen should I simply switch it with the carbon or should I use both.

The purigen does way more than the carbon. I rarely run carbon and it seems to pick up gunk rather quickly, plus it's properties are only good for about a week or so. Carbon is good at getting meds out of the water and polishing, but purigen will absorb ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes, it also can be refreshed by soaking in a 50/50 of bleach and water for 24 hours. Then rinse out very well let dry and rinse again (I'm picky about putting stuff in my tank) adding some dechlor. After this you have fresh purigen.

Roka64... how long do you use the Purigen before switching out for a new packet? I know Seachem says "up to 6 months" and it'll depend on your bioload, but have you run through a batch yet?

A month ago, I took the plunge and stopped using carbon and started using Purigen. I have noticed less of a organic "slick" on the top of my tank, but I'm not sure that's entirely the Purigen. Either way, I haven't seen any negative to using it. And it's nice not having to get in and change out the carbon bags every two weeks!

I just bought three packs and rotest them out. I just cleaned my filter, this past weekend and had to recharge it. It had been about 2 months, but was only slightly turing brown. Now that you mention it, I don't have the oilyness either, but I have also adjusted my phs, so that may have helped. My bioload in my 55 is 4 damsels, a red spotted scotter blenny.

I use two 100 ml bags in my canister (55 gal tank) and rotate them out with new regenerated ones about every 4 months. Purigen is good at removing very fine particulate matter that your skimmer might miss and is a great addition to skimming. I also haven't had any slick on the water since using.

I still clean the canisters every other week but only give the bags a quick rinse in old SW before returning.

Back
Top Bottom