Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 11:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Purigen VS Chem-Pure Elite

I own a 29 gallon Biocube with led lighting and was looking to bump up the filtration a bit. Ive heard good things about the Chem-Pure Elite but read a negative review earlier about how it filters too much and hinders some coral growth. The review said that perigean was a better substitute. Is this true?
........I will be putting this in my media basket

Old 02-22-2012, 11:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I run both chemipure elite and purigen in my biocube. I havent noticed any issues with it, but I don't have a whole heck of a lot of corals in it either. lol

Old 02-22-2012, 11:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use Purigen, Chemi Pure Elite, and carbon in my Biocube, along with a refugium with Chaeto. I haven't run into any problems yet *fingers crossed*
Old 02-23-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

so far everywhere i have read about all in one cubes they recommend to run both.
HPballer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 12:24 AM   #5

Yea the post just said after the Chemi Pure was removed that the corals in the tank took off in growth when Purigen was used instead. I just bought this tank and it came with live rock,sand, and led kit. These lights are amazing, i don't want to hold back any coral growth they may produce. Appreciate the input though guys.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have been considering getting rid of my Chemi-Pure Elite, because it is expensive, non-renewable, and messy when I tried to clean it off before I put it in the tank (I always have black splotches tattooed onto my hand for a few days after!)
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #7

I got a bag of Chem Pure today and put it in my media tray but the water doesn't flow through it fast enough and its causing water to move around my tray, have y'all had the same problems?

Tags
elite, purigen

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com