purple hair algea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jparcell

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know the best way to get rid of the purple hair algea? I've been trying to suck it all out with my water changes but it returns in a few days. I was wondering if there are some fish that will eat it. I have hermits and an urchin but they wont eat it. My emerald crab just gets it all over him but won't eat it. I believe tangs and some gobys will eat it but I'm not certain.

Is it purple or red? Can you get a pic?
Are you sure it's not cyano?
Mike has a great article there....Get us a pic and we can see what's up.

Does it look anything like this?

img_990967_0_98d1bcaa5565a15347c4c5ef63203bab.jpg

Sorry, off topic here, but I love your sig Sparky!

thanks for the site melosu58. I have tried most of those tips already. The only thing I haven't done is shut the lights off. I did cut them back and turned off a new 18,000k sun light. I wasn't sure if that caused the out break or not. I didn't want to turn the lights off completly though because of the mushrooms and anemone. I'll try to get you some pics asap. I'm pretty new at putting those online. My algea doesn't look as thick as the pic sparky posted though. This algea is popping up all over like long strings. It usually stays in small strings but will cluster sometimes. I'm also getting this film on the crushed coral and is now on the LR thats kinda milky white

Are you sure it isn't cyano? Looks like it's growing in and around your cheto

I guess I'm not really sure what it is. I really need to get you those pics as soon as my lights come on. I just thought it looked like hair swaying arond in their so I thought thats what it was

Well I took some pics and got them on the computer but I have no idea how to get them on the site, sorry.

well I've been online looking at pics and I was wrong. It is cyano and not the hair algae like I thought it was. Will anything eat that stuff or do I need to just keep working on getting it out. I stopped using the purple up and only feed the fish once a day. I'm thinking I may start feeding every other day to see if that helps. I buy RO water for all water changes and top offs.

Yeah, every other day is probably better, the new lights could have helped to fuel them as well.
Stick with the PWCs, siphon, reduced lighting and feeding, and you should be good to go.

thanks for all the help everyone! The air line worked great to clean the rocks. The tank looks so much better now that I was able to get in all the nooks and crannies. Thanks again for the great tips:)

I battled with this stuff for a long time, months later I got it under control

Yeah I know it's going to come back and probably fast. I'm just glad to know how to suck it out easier. I saved alot of water by using the air line to vacume the rocks with

Back
Top Bottom