Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-16-2005, 08:43 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

purple is the color~!

I have been looking at saltwater tanks on this site, and realized that all the rocks and tanks were covered in purple. What is that stuff? I know its good stuff how do you grow it?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:04 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

its coraline algae. If you introduce something with the algae on it like live rock, it just spreads by itself.

Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

had my tank for about half a year the purple on the rocks didn't really spread that much any ways to increase the spreading??

------- Alllllrigggghhhttttttt giggity giggity - buddy icon quagmire
Old 10-16-2005, 11:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

good calcium levels and alkalinity. the are some additives that say "coraline accelerator" is an additive. not sure what it is though.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmmm i want that purp natural look!!!
Old 10-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I've heard good things about "purple-up", but I don't like to add chemicals to my tank, so I can't say from experience. You could look around for LR that has good coraline growth on it and place it in your tank. I have heard that LR.com sells good LR for coraline, but again, no personal experience.

55 gal cycling. Will be FOWLR.
haus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 12:15 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

hmm icic okok thankz
Old 10-17-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Make sure your doing small frequent water changes. At least fifteen percent at least once a week. A good salt mix will replenish the needed levels to grow Coraline.

When doing tank maintenance, and providing you have some rock with a little Coraline on it, scratch at it with your thumb nail here and there to spread the spores.

I have also had an lfs tell me to add a small urchin to the tank. They will feed on Coraline but in the process break lose and spread spores and actually contribute to its spread. I do not however know how sound this advice is and would think that in the absence or easier alga's for the urchin to eat your Coraline could disappear pretty quickly.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

o0o thanks for the feed back i will give it a rty
Old 10-17-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

the best way to get coraline algae to grow is to introduce it. check out www.garf.org for mail order coraline. You can also get some nice incrusted LR from the LFS to help. To an extent, good lighting will help this algae to grow but, as mentioned, the proper ALK/CA levels are most important.

Tags
color

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com