Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2006, 01:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Purple Tip Anemone, Questions...

Hey all,

I just added a purple tip anemone to my 55g Reef Tank.

I have 2 Perc Clown fish, 1 Brown Legged Hermit crab, 1 Electric Orange Hermit Crab, 1 Camel Shirmp, 1 Cleaner Shrimp, 1 Fire shrimp, and a cluster of Zoo Polyps.

I added the purple tip anemone to the tank to hopefully give the 2 clown fish a home. They always swim around the tank looking lik they need a place to call home.

My question is, Does this anemone sting? The reason I ask, is because as soon as I put it in the tank my Shirmp ran up to the anemone and started picking at it. So It made me curious as so what exactly do they sting?

Is there anything I should know about this Anemone? Does anyone have tips?

Right now I am adding Calcium, Iodine, and trace elements to the tank.

Thanks,

-TheChad

Old 08-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Im guessing its a Condy anemone? Yes the anemone will sting corals and fish. Invert dont seem to be effected by the sting, my guess is becasue they have a exoskeleton. (sp)
the clowns may or may not host with the anemone, not all clowns host with that type anemone.
Do you test you water with test kits before adding trace elements? iodine can wipe out a tank if overdosed.
Regular water changes is all you need for most tanks.
what type of lighting do you have?
who old is the tank
Nitrates in the water?

Good lighting is a must, stable water chemestry is a must for anemones, little to no Nitrates.
if you feed it shrimp make sure the shrimp is smaller then the mouth on the anemone.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't know, the LFS said it was a purple tip anemone.

The Clowns at the LFS Loved the anemone, they had several in several tanks, and all were housing clown fish.

I test the water for, Nitrate, Nitrite, Amonnia, PH, and calcium.

Another Question: How do you get the anemone to stay put? No matter where in the tank I place it, with in a minute or two, its floating around the tank, and sooner or later gets pulled over to the canister filter intake. It wont stay anywhere I place it.

I've even turned off the PH to reduce flow, but it made no difference.

Thanks,

-TheChad
90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Is it a Sebae? Check the link.

http://www.4coral.com/invertebrates.htm and click on the Sebae link.

There is no way to get the anemone to stay put. You may want to consider turning the canister off for now or blocking the intake with a sponge of some sort. It'll move to where it wants to move and where it likes the best. Unfortanently there is nothing you can do to stop it.

I also agree with Seaham about the testing. If you don't have a test kit for Iodine, I'd stop dosing it for now. Overdosing iodine is not a good thing.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah It looks like it's a Sebae.

Does the Anemone have the ability to walk/move around on its own? I don't want to keep touching it, I don't want to hurt it, but It was face down in the sand once, and like crammed under a rock another time, So I moved it.

Is there any way to tell if its happy or not?

I am going to pick up a Iodine test kit today. What about the trace elements? are those save to dose? It "Kents Elements".

Thanks,

-TheChad
Old 08-14-2006, 12:48 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have read, it is best to let him move where he wants. They will wander around until they find a place they are comfortable. Watch out, when you move him. If you tear the foot (that's what it's called right?), he will most likely be a goner.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I agree with everyone. It will move around on its own. If it starts towards a powerhead or gets too close to one then I'd move it but other than that I'd leave it alone. What kind of lighting do you have? Like Roka said, becareful with it because if you tear the foot, your tank will be in some trouble. Trace elements are safe when tested for and added correctly, but you can still overdose your tank. You really don't need to add supplements at all. Everything you need will be replentished in your weekly PWC's. HTH
Old 08-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to stevefromga2000
since you have a canister filter, i agree with trying to put some sort of sponge or something in the way so that your anenome cannot get sucked up against it. i had one that actually got stuck in my intake for my filter, not a pretty sight. but you should be alright as long as you have good lighting and just exercise some general caution. good luck
Old 08-14-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Agree with the others. Also, don't touch the sebae unless you must. It being upside on the sandbed is not a good sign, unfortanetly. The hidden fact about sebae anemones is that the white ones are bleached out. A healthy sebae is brown in color. It will take some TLC for a while for it to get healthy again. IME, this is one of the hardest anemones to keep and alot of people don't have luck with them. I've tried and failed twice.

How is it looking today?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #10
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Agree with PWC`s all you need. No dosing needed

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anemone

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com