Purple Up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I saw this product at my LFS. Does anyone use it and how does it work? I know most people say don't add anything unless you really need to. My tank is still cycling. Would you have to test for calcium or other tests before adding purple up? Can it be added when fish are in tank? I'm just curious. It would be nice to have some good coraline algae on my LR. I am hesitant on adding any unnecessary chemicals. I know when you add chemicals that means you usually have to start testing for something. I just want to see if anyone else has used purple up.

I've used it and it did speed my corraline growth, but then I also started testing for calcium (it was way low). I then stopped using purple up and starting dosing calcium, and when I got my calcium and alkalinity where it needed to be, the corraline took off like mad. I haven't used purple up since. HTH

Wait until cycle is done. I have never used it and never will. I have hard enough time keeping coralline off the glass as it is. Maintain CA and Alk levels and you will never need it. From what I have seen it is expensive.

Purple Up is, from what I read, a combination of calcium,magnesium, iodide, and iodine, with some supposed trace elements. And probably about 80% inert ingredients like distilled water. Do PWC's regularly and follow the above advice... it'll save you the money.

off topic question but how long usually before you start seeing corraline, with my last tank it started showing up after 3 months but this new tank i dont have any yet

I have red coraline algae on my LR. I have had the tank going for about a month. I don't know if the lighting or water quality has anything to do with it. I am using ro/di water and have current usa orbit light. I am running the 10k for 10hrs and actinic for 12hrs and moonlight for the other 12hrs.

You will only see coralline if it is seeded first. It does not "appear" on its own. Find a rock with coralline at a LFS or find someone to ship you some for a start. Once it is in the tank it will cover everything if proper water chemistry is maintained.

My LR was very colorful when I first bought it from the LFS. It wasn't red at the time, but it has changed colors since buying.

most of the rocks in my aquarium have corraline on them its just not spreading to my glass etc yet

What level of lighting does one need for coraline algae? I have pretty low lights. 2x30w NOF, one actinic and one white.

What level of lighting does one need for coraline algae?
Not much. I had it growing in my fuge(100 gallon) with only a 65W plant light. I now have 500w over fuge and the stray light is causing it to grow in my skimmer.

Hmm so you think mine is OK? I know it is growing to some degree because it's slowly growing over new rock and dead corals (deliberately purchased for their look), etc but want to accelerate the growth.

The coralline growth should cover your rocks over time as long as your water parameters all check out alright. You can try the purple up product, but as everyone always says on this board, make sure you test for whatever you add to your tank. I have had good success with purple up.

Back
Top Bottom