Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you haven't gotten any snails yet, get some now. (That's assuming your tank has cycled. I don't see any info on when you set up the tank, or ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels.) A week after I got a handful of trochus snails, my diatoms were gone.

And no... it won't turn red, unfortunately.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:36 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

That really stinks... well then this sat I will purchase my snails...yes I've had this tank for over a year so it has cycleddd....what's the point of purple up then it didn't turn a single spot purple just brown!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:41 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm not sure what you were told to expect, but after only a week and a half (of doing anything) you're not going to see any difference in coralline growth.
The only thing that grows that quickly is stuff you DON'T want in your tank. LOL
When it comes to a successful SW experience, patience is definitely a requirement.

As for Purple-up, aquarists either love it or hate it.

Personally it's worked well for me.
I used Purple-up in 1 of the 4 SW tanks I have in the living room.
After 3 months that one tank had purple, pink, and green coralline completely covering the glass.

The other 3 tanks that didn't get dosed are only showing a few small spots of coralline on the glass.

As someone mentioned above, there really isn't anything in Purple-up that you can't get elsewhere.
Purple-up is just a combination of several things that you can get from PWC, and that aquarists commonly dose such as, calcium, strontium, iodine, etc.
Of course, even tho I'm terrible about taking my own advice, if you're going to dose anything you should have a test kit for it to make sure you don't overdose.

Two other things to consider...

The color and growth of coralline also seems to be proportionate to lighting.
The stronger the light the better.

Also, the more coralline you start with in your tank to "seed" it the better.
Purple-up doesn't have any coralline in it to get you started.
Did you start with cured LR that already had some nice colonies of coralline growing on it?
If not, go to you LFS and buy a few small pieces of rubble that have some nice, mature growth of red and purple on them already.

BTW, coralline does not start off brown. That sounds like a diatom bloom which is normal for a new tank.
With coralline, you'll notice tiny spots of dark green, pink, red, or purple on your glass (where it doesn't get regularly scraped clean) that will slowly get bigger and spread over time.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:25 PM   #14

thanks for the grweat advice... actually i do have LR with a lot of red spots... and now for that brown stuff thats a pproblem.. this tank is actually about 6 months oldd... any still no spots on my tank buton some parts of my LR isee smoe green spots dtarting to show up
Old 02-02-2007, 12:38 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I thought my tank was the only one looking like that LR. Mine looks like that and from only PWC`s and no calcium or buffering supplements

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:23 PM   #16

so you can consider purple up like steroids?... it may work.. but you may have some bad consequences... i will continue to use the supplement and see for any changes.. if none appear i will stop
Old 02-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you're going to continue with the PurpleUp, even with the comments folks have made here, please at least go out and get a Calcium and Alkalininty test kit, and use them. If you get your tank chemistry out of whack, you'll be cussing yourself later on.

As Melosu58 noted, you *may* be able to get the calcium levels you need with just your normal water changes. Personally, I can't because my fresh salt water only mixes normally to about 360ppm Ca. BUT... the point is, I *know* what my Ca levels are in my tank and in my new fresh water I'm putting in. Without knowing that information, you can't really make a decision on what you need to do. Your new salt water may have 400ppm Ca in it to start with... in which case you don't need to add anything to get coralline algae to flourish.

Take a read of this...

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm

It's my favorite article on the whole Ca/Alk issue. You should see how the two are interdependent and messing up one can mess up the other. Messing with Alk can have bad effects on pH. And after your pH starts swinging all over, you're going to see problems elsewhere.

I think one of the best pieces of advice I've gotten off this board so far is that if you're going to add supplements to your tank, then you should at least test for whatever it is you're adding. If you're not testing, you don't even know if you need the supplement to start with. Just because your LFS sells it, doesn't mean you need it!
Old 02-02-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Manny09 don't forget coralline needs light along w/ proper Ca and Alk levels to flourish. What type/wattage lights are you using and what size is your tank?
Old 02-02-2007, 05:19 PM   #19

29 gallon 110 watts? is that enuff
Old 02-03-2007, 06:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
29 gallon 110 watts? is that enuff
Should be more than enough. What K lighting is it? IME coralline grows best w/ actinics or higher K (10k-14k)lamps. It seems to favor a more blue light.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com