purple vs. green coraline

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
what would be a decent affordable RODI unit? obviously there are some better than others. i just need to know the ones to stay away from. i was thinking of getting the salifert kits for the Ca, Phos, Alk. i'll grab the multi test kit next check. well is there a happy medium for a good all around salt that has everything you need? i know IO is good along with Oceanic and now Tropic Marin but they all seem to have some sort of a down fall. this is my first saltwater tank and i want to try to do everything right. (RODI will be next on the list to get.)

Thanks! I will look into the coralife when its time to buy. gotta get some cash first. which salt does everyone like the best?? IO (reef crystals or regular), Oceanic or Tropic Marin?

P.S. I finally got a pic of the algea or coraline that i was talking about in the beginning. although, now it got a lot brighter and more lime green colored.

Thanks for the info! I need to save up a little bit of money first. I just got a used filter from a friend but its no RO/DI but it will work i think until i get a real one. :)

I have four different colours of coraline growing on my glass, which so far is looking pretty cool. I was really surprised because I was told that it wouldn't happen until about the 8-9 month mark after starting your tank and mine was appearing after 3. I usually buy live rock with different colours of coraline on it and can't wait until it coats the back glass of my tank. It sure is hard to scrap off the front and sides though, damn...

Wow! I wish i could get four different colors growing. I finally got the purple going now after putting a friends purple rock in my tank to "seed" it. I've had the green growing for a while now but no other colors besides teh purple now. Do you use any additives? what are you water perameters like?

ntswift said:
Thanks! I will look into the coralife when its time to buy. gotta get some cash first. which salt does everyone like the best?? IO (reef crystals or regular), Oceanic or Tropic Marin?

P.S. I finally got a pic of the algea or coraline that i was talking about in the beginning. although, now it got a lot brighter and more lime green colored.

Bump. I would like to know what the experts have to say about the green algae in the picture. Is it coralline or the beginning of hair algae?

I see some capulera on the very left of the pic? Shouldn't that be competing for nutrients and help to reduce the green algae growth on the rocks?

The growth on my rocks is really hard. i think its just green coralline and not bad green algea. I may be wrong but i think that was the consensus. :)

ntswift said:
Do you use any additives? what are you water perameters like?

None man, literally all I've done is add live rock that has lots of coraline growth on it. I have purple, red, green, and orange spots on my glass. Some yellow is forming too, but I'm not sure that it's coraline yet as I don't have any yellow on my rocks. It's pretty cool to see, but it's made me rearrange my rock structure as I want to scrape the sides and front of my tank so that I can still see in. I'm just a little confused that it's happened so fast, but the way my rocks were just coated with it I guess it's not so surprising after all.

Water paramaters are all "normal", with calcium tested at 400 mg/L.

Where did you get your rock from? I'm kinda mad because i bought some live rock with some awesome coralline on it and my green coralline took it all over! Not much i can do about that though. :) I just switched over to oceanic, so hopefully that will help bring my calcium levels up and get some more coralline growing.

Back
Top Bottom