Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sorry to add another question guys, but I have a couple of opportunities in regards to equipment that I would love your advice on.

First is, I've been offered a used AquaC EV180 skimmer for a reasonable price, and I was wondering your thoughts on that. Second, I have been offered a brand new Red Sea Berlin XL for $200 including a Red Sea 18 Blade pump.

Are these good pumps and good deals, or is there better I can do with around $150-200 for a skimmer?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can't help you with the skimmers. But with the powerheads, I have two in my 33 gal Solana cube. I have one that stays on and the other turns on and off with a timer every few minutes. I think one large powerhead would push too hard in one spot.

If you got a vortek mp10, you could use it on a larger tank and it would give you a lot of flexability.

Old 08-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unfortunately the MP10 is a little out of my price range. I contacted glass-holes and they said my flow should be 760 gallons, one third ran through the sump (overflow) and the remaining 2/3 through powerhead. The Koralia should be able to cover that nicely I think

Anyone able to help me in regards stuff I mentioned above?
Old 08-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok I've chosen a skimmer.

Either of these 2 should do the trick:

Protein Skimmer & Overflow Box - Marine Sources Conical Skimmer Red Devil Pump - SDP-900 Internal MS Skimmer - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - SDP-900 Internal MS Skimmer

Protein Skimmer & Overflow Box - Marine Sources Conical Skimmer Red Devil Pump - RDC-850 Internal - Guppy’s Aquarium Products Online - RDC 850 Internal Skimmer

Now all that's left really is determining what flow model power heads and pump to get and finding a smaller tank for a sump.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
sure. that power head seems ok. it's a koralia knock off. koralias aren't necessarily the "way to go" they are just cheap. there are others that are similar, like the one you posted, that work just as well, or better.
random turbulence is what you want to achieve. whether it's with one power head or many.
those skimmers look nice. they look like octopus clones. i don't know about the pumps though. i'd probably go with the one with the external pump if you can fit it (easier maintenance).
as far as flow inside the display goes, it depends on what corals you intend to keep.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Mainly LPS and softies (hammer, torch, cult), but hopefully some SPS too.

I want something like this tank:

‪jetstream01's Channel‬‏ - YouTube

He said he used a Koralia Nano and 750, so I presume that should probably work for my tank?

Also, one more silly question: the tank I plan on buying has 6mm thick glass. Does thickness of the glass matter at all and is 6mm sufficient?
Old 08-09-2011, 08:55 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

the skimmer you are considering is much better than his. skip the koralia nano. it's about worthless. They should have called that a koralia pico.
a larger pump would be better.
the glass is fine.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
the skimmer you are considering is much better than his. skip the koralia nano. it's about worthless. They should have called that a koralia pico.
a larger pump would be better.
the glass is fine.

nigegognnhhpnhh (15 char min >.>)
Old 08-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question about lighting guys. I've heard it's quite easy to have too much lighting for your tank to the point where your corals start to turn white/die.

For a 3ft long tank, 38 gallon how many bulbs would you suggest? As I've said above, mainly planning on softies/LPS, but want the option of adding an anemone and maybe a couple SPS down the track. Should I be going for 4 or 6 bulbs?

This is the 4 bulb one I was looking at:

http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index....oducts_id=1548

And this is the 6 bulb I was looking at:

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.co.../prod_637.html

These LED fixtures are apparently really good as well. The 120W version is only $275.

AMDbulbs - Products
Old 08-11-2011, 06:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

i don't know how easy it is to have too much lighting. acclimation is important though, and i've seen folks upgrading their lights and then having bleaching events. i used 8 lamp fixtures over my 17" deep reef. two 4' fixtures with 8 x 54watts in each and high end lamps. i didn't bleach much through the transition.
i would go with the 6 lamp fixture, without knowing how good the LED fixtures you linked are.

Tags
direction

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com