Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-23-2014, 06:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Mob420
Putting in caribsea mineral mud in a running tank sump refugium

I recently purchased some Caribsea Mineral Mud however am not able to find any instructions on how to put it in my sump refugium. I read a few articles online which provide instructions on how to put it in but not in a tank that has been running. The instructions I've read talk about putting it in an empty sump refugium and leave it in for 2 days etc. Considering my tank has been running for approx. 4 weeks and has a few fish and lots of LR already in it, is there a procedure on how to put in the mineral mud in my sump refugium?

I have a light installed on top of my sump and just threw some LRs in the refugium today. If anyone can help with some advice, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 08-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Just imagine the mud is sand and follow their instructions. I personally don't think that the stuff is really worth it, but some swear by it.
If the refugium is up and running, turn off the return pump until the mud can settle for 2 days as the instructions say and turn it back on.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to Mob420
Hey thanks for the advice.. I went to the lfs and they told me I can turn the return pump in on 30 minutes and it should not be a problem. They said my DT would get all fogged up but would clear in 24-48 hrs.

I added the caribsea mineral mud this morning and now my DT is majorly fogged up.

What I did was the following:
Emptied the sump refugium until there was very little water in it. Basically all the way until I couldn't scoop out anymore. There was a little left.
Added two boxes of the mineral mud
Flattened it out with a little shovel
Slowly added water on top of the mud
Let it sit for about 30 minutes
and then turned on my equipment

This is what i was told to do by the LFS and i'm not sure if this was the correct way of putting the mud in. They have said that it will take approx. 24-48 hours for the DT to clear up and it won't harm my fish.

My skimmer is really put to work.

I'm very concerned.[I added the caribsea mineral mud this morning and now my DT is majorly fogged up.

What I did was the following:
Emptied the sump refugium until there was very little water in it. Basically all the way until I couldn't scoop out anymore. There was a little left.
Added two boxes of the mineral mud
Flattened it out with a little shovel
Slowly added water on top of the mud
Let it sit for about 30 minutes
and then turned on my equipment

This is what i was told to do by the LFS and i'm not sure if this was the correct way of putting the mud in. They have said that it will take approx. 24 hours for the DT to clear up and it won't harm my fish.

My skimmer is really put to work.

Is what they are telling me correct? I'm very concerned though since I can't see anything inside.

ATTACH]247950[/ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408975387.082035.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	170.6 KB
ID:	247951Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408975415.295725.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	206.2 KB
ID:	247952

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1408975342.631018.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	247950  

Tags
refugium, sea, sump, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com