Putting together new 80 gal reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smithcinema

Aquarium Advice Activist
I having major issues with lighting ordered nova 6 bulb t5 pro love the light but the tank is in my family room and the fans are 2 loud my wife says it has 2 go !! My only choice now is to go led with no fans so I ordered the marineland reef edition 2 of them they are 6in wide so I figure I'll double up on my 24in wide tank do u think this will be enough light my backs against a wall !! Spent a fourtune on making this tank quiet cant let 2 stupid little fans ruin my tank !! Been out of the hobby for 15 years since when do they add fans to fluorescent lighting I use 2 have 4 tubes over my 55 gal for years with no fan built in

The tank is a 24x24x31 it will have live rock , live sand , small fish and invertebrate with only hardy corals !! (mushroom and stuff) this Is the 3rd light I ordered the first one was 2 big the nova is awesome but the sounds of the fans is to much for 10 hours a day !! So I have 2 do LEDs with no fan !! I have read some good things on the marineland reef edition my lfs has one over his main reef show tank he loves it . I figure if I use 2 it would be really bright thanks for ur help

Yeah, I have the nova extreme over my 6 foot tank and it sounds like a jet engine when it kicks on. But to me it's kinda relaxing to hear the water and the light. My b/f luckily isnt annoyed by either so I got lucky with that.

You may be ok if your coral aspirations aren't too high. For instance I wouldn't put any anemones or any SPS corals in there. The depth of your tank is the killer part I think. Not sure how much the leds' can penetrate.

You got the marineland reef ready lights right?

Yes ordered on amazon the reef ready !! The depth is deep but it looks so good lol !! We're all over 6foot in my house so don't want to bend to look in tank lol I'll post picture in over my head spent over $4,000 all ready , want it done right with little maintenance as poss !! Not around alot in the summer tank needs to run good for at least a week at a time .. I plan on making a wall with live rock I'll try to keep corals more to the top

It's a work in progress , finish plumbing this week waiting on nipple that was cracked on rodi that I ordered so hope to have water in it by this weekend

Attachments

• image-2731824362.jpg
    image-2731824362.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 89
Star fire glass looks amazing it's clear like acrylic but it is heavy real heavy trust me !!! Glasscages did a awesome job on it I could not be any happier !!

Yes, we need pictures!! I really like the look of the tall tanks but I can't work in them as my arms are really short, heck, I'm only 5 foot 2 LOL. That is the main reason I didnt' get a 220g tank when I got my 125g. I knew I would be practically swimming everytime I need to work on it. I do now, however, regret that decision. It's always something with aquaria though, you'll never find the right equipment and setup once you start. I keep upgrading everything bit by bit. I can't even imagine how much $$ I've spent, but over 4k for sure.

I have had all the triggers and lions in the past this time I want a more peaceful tank never Had crabs or shrimps so I'm excited I want some feather dusters and stuff looking forward to all the little fish I could not have in the past !!loving all the new gear out purchased all the digital Hanna testers and meters should make my life easy !! And now the reactors are great with this gfo stuff I got from bulk reef supply ! Took every ones advice on the rodi will make life harder to do water changes !! Use to tap water like years ago lol

Thank you I finished it my self to match my furniture glasscages is amazing when I looked in the truck at some other stuff they were delivering my jaw dropped lol there tanks and stands are built to the highest standards every piece is solid oak !!

I can see where part of your budget went. lol But it is awesome. Can't argue that sometimes spending the extra cash is worth it in the end.

i also use the hanna meters, very convenient, I love mine. I'm hoping to get the rest of them soon, I only use the phosphate one right now.

Carey can u help me with my water going to fill saturday all most done plumbing ??
Live rock, fish,some corals
Best - salinity ,ph,calcium ,temperature and the amount of time to run lights and uv I've been out of the game so long heck the last time I had a tank u were not suppose to use sand only crushed coral !! Now its a no no lol . Thanks for your help and any other things I should test for

Well if youre going to first fill it up you shouldn't be adding any livestock unless youre going to cycle with fish rahter than fishless.

I keep my salinity at 1.026, temp on my tanks is a steady 79 degrees. I run my blues from 10am to 10 pm and my whites from 11am to 9pm. :)

Back
Top Bottom