Puzzled by dry rock/purple dots?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bnr911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am very new at SW, but I have been slowly trying to set my tank up and do research, research and more research! So I finally got the tank up (75 gal), my sump plumbed, power heads installed, protein skimmer in place, added sand, DRY rock, salt & RO water. Did all of this last night. I woke up this morning to find purple dots ( I'm assuming it's coralline) on a few of my rocks. I didn't think that was supposed to happen so quickly. Is this cause for concern? I do not have any lights on my tank yet, just ordered them this weekend. My LFS told me it was ok to start the cycle without any lights, so I hope that was true. Any help in this matter would be appreciated. :confused:

Definitely just old dead coralline algae spots. It can't grow without some light and would never start growing that fast. I wouldn't over worry about it

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hope this picture might help.

Attachments

• 106_5498.jpg
    106_5498.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 83
Ooooh those are dead foramineferans. Nothing to worry about :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the help. I am a mom, naturally I worry :). Now though I am just going to wait my cycle out. BTW should I just leave them or clean them off?

Back
Top Bottom