Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-24-2006, 01:41 PM   #11
lol...i did the same thing a few years back. i dumped the saltwater on my parents yard, they werent too happy about that.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
i use a 32g brute container on wheels. I mix 24hrs before the PWC. I heat and stir the water with a heater and powerhead. I use a syphon and 5 gallon buckets to empty the 20 gallons that i change out. THen I use a powerhead with vynil tubing to pump the new water back into the sump. It takes me about 20-25 mintues.

When i'm not using the brute container, it sits in the garage with the bucket of salt inside of it. I make sure the container is comletely dried out before i store it. I just don't have room for it in the house.

I think i do it fairly similarly to tecwzrd. The thing i've found out is that if i simplify how i do PWC's, i don't mind doing them. That means that i'll do them more often which is a huge plus.

75g reef
zenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:03 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to willowthepoet
i haul buckets. i count it as exercise for the day. haha.
willowthepoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
No bucket hauling here. I would be dead. I LOVE pumps.
*The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist.
*If guns kill people...Spoons make Michael Moore fat.
Brenden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
My house is so dang big that the nearest sink and/or toilet is over 75 feet away. I make the kids carry 5 gallon buckets to the bathtub. If they spill any they get grounded. I lay on the couch and supervise while my wife massages my back.

(Well, in my dream world anyway).

Here's my real method. I use a pump to fill 5 gallon buckets out of the aquarium. I carry them to the kitchen sink and empty. For my make-up water I have the 35 gallon Rubbermaid trash can sitting by the tank with freshly mixed salt water. I use the pump to refill tank.
7 month old 100 gallon. Hopefully on my way to a great reef tank. A few small fish and a few small soft corals. T5 HO Lights and ro/di unit.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:20 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular
Boy, after reading all of your methods of a water changes, I feel very lucky that I have it good. My tank is in the basement 3 feet from the drain. I have a fish room so if I spill it is no big deal.
150 Gallon FOWLR
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:38 AM   #17
i have an extra room not being used right now...i really want to turn it into a fishroom and have an in wall aquarium....buuuuut i dont think i have enough time for another tank. sorry to post out of subject.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com