Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

PWC question

Is it more or less the same thing if I do a 5 gallon water change for 5 days in a row versus changing 25 gallons all at once? The reason that i ask is because for now, I am limited to taking my 5 gallon jug to the grocery store in order to buy their RO/DI water. I understand that in the future I would like to get an RO/DI unit, but I need a quick solution for now. So, will it work? Or should I just keep filling the jug and transfering it over to my 18 gallon tupperware container?

Old 10-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

To me it does not matter I like smaller frequent PWC`s but if you do it the other way you are still removing excessive nutrients at a bigger whack just waiting longer and allowing a longer period for them to rebuild. To me 6 half dozen or the other. Here is a good article on PWC`s.

Water Changes in Reef Aquaria by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #3

In freshwater bigger is better. Because of the time between water changes allowing things to build up 5x10% does not equal 50%. However, in saltwater it is usually better to do the smaller water changes because saltwater inhabitants are more sensitive to even the most subtle changes a water change can produce (temp, salinity, pH, etc.). Because of this it is safer to do smaller water changes. The usual recommendation is 10% weekly. Keep this up and you will prevent 90% of the problems you will face.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 PM   #4

I guess I should have also mentioned that my tank has just finished cycling and that is why I am trying to do such a large water change. I have a 55 gallon tank and I am going to change about 50% of the water. The nitrates are at around 40 ppm and I want to get it as low as possible. That is why I am trying to dilute the nitrates over the course of five days or so.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #5

That is different. With no livestock in yet you can go big like that. If you can only do 5 gallons at a time do them as often as possible until you get the nitrate down.

How much rock did you add?
How long has the tank been running?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
If you have no livestock i would say do one large change. If you do a bunch of small changes in a row each PWC after the first will be taking out a small percentage of the new water you just put in on the previous changes. Probably won't make that much of a difference in the end but that is the technical answer.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I agree with Pat. No live stock do a large PWC and get your levels down.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:44 PM   #8

My tank has been running for two months exactly, to the day. unfortunatly, I cycled my tank with damsels, as per the advice of my LFS. And yes, I did get alot of grief about it. So, I do have livestock in my tank and that is why I need to get my nitrites down. I also have about 15 pounds of live rock and 7 pounds of base rock. Although some af my base rock has started growing coralline algea, so I guess its slowly starting to become live rock.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I would still do a 25-30% PWC.

When doing a PWC you want to mix the SW up and let it stand (with a powerhead in it) for at least 24 hours. Heat the new SW to match that of the tank and do your water change. I usually let mine run for a couple of days in a 32g garbage can before doing my PWC.

I used to change 32+ gallons every other week on my system with no issues at all.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this going to be a fish only with LR or a reef setup. If it's going to be a reef you will need more base rock for a total of 1-2#'s per gallon size of tank. So a 55 would need ~55#'s to110 #'s of rock to be your main filtering.

Tags
pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com