Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am due for a PWC. I've been doing them every week. 75 gallon tank and 25 gallons every 7-8 days. We went camping over the weekend so I'm at about 10 days past my last change. I just tested the water and everything seems fine. Is once a week too much or is it more of a preventative change? We only have 2 clowns, one blue tang, one eng goby, about 20 red leg hermits and 5 margarita pink snails. Just curious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3266642264.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	158948
Phosphate was .25
Temp 78

Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

33% every week is probably a bit on the high side. Consensus seems more like 10%. But your nitrates would climb.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I started off doing them that much, now I'm every 14 days or so. Depends on your set up- skimmer, refugium, etc. I'm just hob filter and skimmer on my 30g with 2 clowns, goby, and mandarin. No real algae build up. It's all personal preference on how clean you want your tank and how good you want your water quality for your livestock.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

My thinking was since its a 75 gallon tank plus 20 gallon sump that would be 95 gallons total. I also didn't factor in the rock and sand (which prob negates the sump). Seems like everything I read is a bit different. I've read 10% and 20%, every week, two weeks and even every month. Guess its just how your tank looks and water quality. Thanks for the input.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:27 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

There are two main factors when talking about SW water changes. First is the obvious, nutrient export. Your tank given you keep a strict feeding regime will give you a measurable amount of nitrates/phosphates per week to give you a pattern which you would then just do the math to figure out how much and how often you would need to do your water changes. The second factor is mainly only concern for reefs but it is mineral replenishment. When keeping corals they will deplete your alkalinity and calcium which this to can be measured to give you an idea of the rate its used allowing you to A) begin dosing to combat that, or B) replenish the needed minerals though water changes. That being said you need to remember every single tank is different so what I do for my tank may not work for yours so you need to just monitor it and find its trend. Then you can fine tune your schedule and make it more efficient
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well said! I appreciate that! Makes tons of sense.

Tags
pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com