Pygmy Octopi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insanejellyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So a good friend of mine is completely in love with cephalopods (Going to school for marine biology like myself) and recently has took an interest in pygmy octopi. Since I've never had any cephalopods of any kind before I was wondering what kind of set up and tank size she would need for 2 pygmy octopi that she possibly may breed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I've been wanting to set up a tank for a blue ringed for years myself, amazing creatures. My understanding is they require among the very hardest conditions and establishments to thrive. I hope she has great success with them, and will be following this for my own fascination reasons. Wish her luck for me

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I love the blue ring. Absolutely no way I'd ever get one though due to the combinational of having young kids and these highly venomous creatures having an interest in escaping.

I don't have kids, so I already have a decent amount of venomous creatures... That one is just way too risky lol

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Someone around where I love sells blue ringed octopus for $300 I would love one but they are to deadly to have as a pet

I had a Bimac octopus for a year and a half in my 55 gallon it was the coolest pet I have ever owned by far and I have had some pretty cool stuff. They have such an interesting personality and are extremely intelligent. If I were your friend I would not second guess getting them. Just do it! They eat a lot though! More than I was expecting so make sure you have a good skimmer. If you have any questions I might be able to answer let me know

You will need a very tight fitting lid and be sure to put acrylic rods in the rock work because they are very strong.

I didn't have any problems with them escaping but that's just me. However like he ^ just mentioned they will move all your rock work arround

Thanks for all the advice, she actually has a tattoo of a blue ringed octopus on her shoulder, it's pretty awesome. I am actually doing a little research of my own on cuttlefish since I would like to keep one myself. Any tips or suggestions with them?

If at all possible a flamboyant cuttlefish would be my top choice but I know how hard it is to come across those also a dwarf cuttlefish would be ideal.

Be careful , the flamboyant cuttlefish is highly toxic to other animals, including humans! It's bite, skin and organs all contain venom. This would need to be housed by itself, too.

Back
Top Bottom