Q for corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kaboke

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm not sure where to ask this question but I now that I have to Q fish but what about any corals do you Q that and if so for how long if somebody can post pictures of corals in Q that would be a big help
and what about the light do I need to buy an expensief light for the Q or would a 65W coralife be good enough

Sorry for the questions :oops:
( can you tell that I"m new )

Kaboke

I have read that you can quarantine corals (and you probably should), but otherwise you do what's called a dip. I think that is a mixture of certain chemicals (no idea what) and your tank water to kill any nasties that may be hiding in the coral. Wish I could be more help. Me, I acclimate and put in the tank. No Q for me!

I don't QT my corals either. Dips are debateable, most do more harm than good. The only time I'd do a dip is if the coral seems damaged, then I'd QT it anyways. It the coral looks healthy from inspection, both in the tank at the LFS and in my hand when I get it home, I just put it in the tank... After a certain period of acclimation of course.

I agree with DT here...i dont' QT my corals either. Unless you have a tank setup with the correct lighting and filtration your QT of a coral can do much more harm then good!

My lfs dips all the corals they get in with Lugol's (it tells you on the bottle the concentration for dipping) and I think that it stresses the corals too much since they had been shipped and have to adjust to the lighting. Maybe that's why 25% of their corals bleach... lol. I agree it isn't necessacary to dip them. What's more important is acclimating them to your lighting and proper tank conditions.

I know some that do QT their corals but for me I dont QT them either. I just do a proper acclimation and put them in the main.

can somebody help me find a topic that explains acclimation of corals to light

Thanks Kaboke

kaboke said:
can somebody help me find a topic that explains acclimation of corals to light

Thanks Kaboke

Here's an article on photo acclimation:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=37

Just to add to the others... when I started out, I intended to quarantine my corals. But then the logistics got messy. I'm still stocking my tank, so my QT is set up for fish and often has a fish in it. Adding a coral would technically introduce new water so if I was really safe, I'd have to restart the quarantine "clock" on my fish. In addition, I wasn't too interested in brighter lighting for my QT.

I'm lucky as the LFS I get my corals from is fantastic. Coral tanks separate from the fish tanks, healthy corals, lighting at least as good as my tank. So - I just acclimate them to the water parameters and put them in my main. No photo acclimation at all since they're coming from the same conditions (or perhaps brighter) as my tank. If there's any questions about the health of the coral, I just don't get it, so I feel safe in putting the stuff from that shop in my main.

Back
Top Bottom