QT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbrock

Aquarium Advice Activist
im thinking of turning my 5g freshwater tank into a SW quarentine tank. i was wondering if i should put live sand and rock in there, because ive read that that may not be a good idea.

I wouldn't. You really want to be able to easily tear the QT down and clean/disinfect it. I would probably just have a decent HOB filter and perhaps a couple of pieces of PVC pipe for the inhabitant to hide in. You'll have to be very careful using this tank even as a QT due to the small volume of water. Things can go wrong very quickly in a 5g tank. I'm not trying to discourage you though...a QT tank is very important and, as long as you check the water parameters every day, I think you'll be fine with it.

thanks a lot for the advice, but i have one more question, how many average size fish(such ass percula clowns) could i fit in there? i know definitley no more than two, but could i even have that many? i wont usually be buying two fish at the same time, but ive read clowns shoudl be added in pairs, so what do you think?

I think if they were small clowns, and you are willing to check and possibly change water every day, you'd be OK. If you can pre cycle a filter cart by having it in your main tank long enough for it to grow a bacterial colony, that would help. It would really be better, when you can, to only have one fish at a time in there. JMHO.

10g are cheap here too, but the one i was planning on using was a freshwater fish tank,but all of the fish died. a friend reccomended using it as the qt instead of putting more fw fish in it. so since i have a 5g that im not using for anything else, ill probly just use that and see how it goes, but ill look into a 10g too.

ok, i have a fake plant, a plastic sunken ship, and a little cave that i had in with my freshwatter fish, after they are cleaned up, would it be ok to put them in the qt?

Back
Top Bottom