QT problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal qt and I CANT keep my ammonia and nitrites down. I do a 10 gal water change daily and it is still very high. I have just a plain filter that came with the tank and some pvc pipes in there. I feed just once a day to keep everything down but it still does not work. Im thinking it might be the cheap filter, its not a bio wheel. I also have a powerhead in there also..Help please!!

Perhaps its your tests. What kind are you using? Is it possible to have your water checked at your lfs as a comparison? Just seems suspicious, even with a typical hob filter, that with 50% water changes daily, your not seeing any change.

Did you cycle this tank, or move any biological filtration media from your main tank to the QT? The bacteria required to eliminate ammonia / etc take time to build up, so if you're using a new filter there are no bacteria to remove these waste products. Can you move some filter media from the main to the QT?

Otherwise water changes are about all you can do, I think. I'm surprised that 50% water changes every day aren't keeping it under control... thats a huge water change.

The test kit Im using is the master test kit. lfs uses the same one. I had a sponge in the main tank for a few weeks and then put it in the qt.

what are the tanks occupants? is the 20 gal overstocked? try reducing feeding to every other day. keep up with the water changes and see what happens.

The only fish that is in there is a Royal Gramma... Im sooooo glad he is a hardy fish

with only the one fish overpopulation is not the problem. reduce the feeding to every other day and dont put in more than he can eat in 3 minutes or so. as suggested above I would bring a sample to the LFS for testing. your kit may be bad or expired. good luck.

I bought the test kit 2 months ago. If works fine for the 90 so im pretty sure its not the test kit. I think im going to try feeding every other day..Im sure this will help.

Back
Top Bottom