QT Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

toddwess

Aquarium Advice Freak
Do I need a protien skimmer in a QT?

I've got three baby clowns in a 10 gallon with no substrate or anything. Penguin bio-wheel filter completelly cycled and all stuff in the right range.

They will be in there for 3 more weeks before going to the display tank, so do I need a protien skimmer?

Thanks,
todd

They will be in there for 3 more weeks before going to the display tank, so do I need a protien skimmer?

No, I like to do twice weekly water changes at a minimum on my Q-tanks and don't feel it's necessary. Also if you have to medicate...the skimmer will pull some meds out of the water.

Excellent point. I had not thought about medication.

when you do you twice weekly water changes - how much do you do? I was thinking of a gallon twice a week.

Too much? Not enough?

Thanks,
Todd

when you do you twice weekly water changes - how much do you do? I was thinking of a gallon twice a week.

I think that is fine, 10% is about what I do, siphoning out any detritus, uneaten fod, fish poo, etc...Also I use water from the display tank and add the new water to the display ;)

We have a good article on how to setup a q-tank in our articles area if you have not seen it yet.

Back
Top Bottom