qt setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
it is obvious that i should set up a qt, especially the further and further i get into my tank. i would hate to lose everything over laziness.

my main question is what is generally required for a qt, and how do most people set them up? are the constantly running, or do you just add tank water or something? is it costly if you have to run a whole seperate tank, in time and money? thanks

It`s done both ways. I know people that break their`s down and use it when they need it and I know people that keep it going all the time. I would imagine to keep setting it up would cost more.

great article, i think. i dont really know, but it seems pretty solid. i'm going to set up a 10-15 gallon qt. i still have some of my freshwater whisper filters, should i just hang the small one on my big tank and let it run until i need to move it to the qt? since i have a fluval, maybe i could put one of their sponges back into the canister and let it run(cleaning often), then i can just cram that into the whisper when it's time? that way i dont have another piece of equipment hanging off my tank. what do you guys/gals without sumps do? thanks a bunch for the info, i'm gonna craigslist a small tank now.

Actually, your fluvial should have sponges in it and you can probably use one of those to seed your QT. I would rinse it out in your old SW, after 2-3 weeks, in your fluvial, you should have a nicely seeded sponge. Other's are free to comment or correct me.

i took the sponge out of the fluval, i didnt want the dreaded nitrate factory and all. but i do routine maintanence on my tank, that includes the fluval so it wouldnt be much to just rinse the filter ew when im doing it.

Back
Top Bottom