Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-16-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

QT size, time and 40b Stock

So I've been doing a lot of homework and as the title says, I'm seeking what a proper size QT would be, what should be in it (LR-LS) and type of filtration for anything that will go into my soon to be upgraded (from 10-14 ish BioCube to 40b) currently housing a tiger pistol/goby pair and a few corals listed below. The current rock and sand will more than likely be traded at my very trusted SW only LFS as they've not supplied any misleading info when asked.

I would like my end tank stock to consist of the shrimp/goby pair, one 6 line wrasse, one longnose hawkfish, and 2 ocellaris clowns. I don't believe this would be overstocked but am welcome to suggestions or scrutiny. All current research leads me to believe these will all get along well. Fish/fish and fish/reef. I would like to add 2 firefish but feel that may be a reach and asking for trouble. Thoughts on those ?

The other items to be transferred over include a 3 headed Duncan, 2 small frogspawn, 1 (6" at widest area) Kenya tree, and one small (not so happy) galaxea. New rock will be added first and then sand to prevent the rock from crashing thru the bottom pane. Lighting is: Current USA Orbit Marine LED Saltwater Reef Lighting System: Aquarium LED Light Fixtures 36" model.

All fish will be added separately (except clowns) but starting with them and in one month intervals. Current salinity is 1.024 (by hydrometer, refractometer has been shipped from Amazon).

Side note: My current FW QT is ALWAYS a 6 week minimum with my Discus. They've all been purchased from the same trusted source and ALL of them are extremely interactive with people, happy as can be, hand fed, are always handled (if needed) and never netted. They love to be petted and enjoy watching NASCAR, NHL and anything else on the tube.

Thank you for the help.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Hey treeman,

I'd shoot for a 15 gallon QT as none of that stock gets to huge. For filtration I'd drill it and put a sump underneath. A 20 long would be perfect. Glass-holes has great kits to drill the tank for an overflow. I'd shoot for 50 lbs rock and probably 30-40 lbs sand.

Stocking sounds fine. I think you'd be ok with 1-2 more fish actually but that's JMO. You're gonna be limited to lps and softies with that light but that's not a big deal lol. I forget the rest of your post so if I didn't answer something let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bribo12 View Post
Hey treeman,

I'd shoot for a 15 gallon QT as none of that stock gets to huge. For filtration I'd drill it and put a sump underneath. A 20 long would be perfect. Glass-holes has great kits to drill the tank for an overflow. I'd shoot for 50 lbs rock and probably 30-40 lbs sand.

Stocking sounds fine. I think you'd be ok with 1-2 more fish actually but that's JMO. You're gonna be limited to lps and softies with that light but that's not a big deal lol. I forget the rest of your post so if I didn't answer something let me know!

+1. Only thing I would say is if you want a shrimp/goby go with a little more sand. If I remember correctly roughly 1.5lbs/gal should give you 2-3" which is what I would aim for with the shrimp and goby.

Old 11-16-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In trying to be as specific as possible, I forgot (d'oh) to add the link for the build thread. I believe pics are in the link and will double check. Angelmom2/treemanone2003 SW Build

I'll be getting back to replies a bit later as the NASCAR party I'm at is in full swing 👍😜😂🍺🎉🍷🍻🍔🍴

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Go Harv!

Tags
size, stock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com