QT Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firerescue2002

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering if one should QT snails. I am assuming yes, because it is always a good idea to QT new comers but I was not sure. The future snail inhabitants are listed below. Also can these all be added at the same time or should I follow a certain order? If so please advise on order. What about snail acclimation? What do you guys do? In the past I have done a slow 4hr. drip.

6x Checkered Nerite
6x Mexican Turbo Snails
7-10x Nassarius Snails
1x Fighting conch

TIA,
Andrew

I probably should, but I do not quarantine inverts, mobile or otherwise, only fish. There is always a chance they could carry a parasite into the tank, but the chances are miniscule.

Nerite Snails...
Mostly a rock and glass snail that are all about the algae. They consume algae, cyanobacteria, and diatoms. They don't move very fast but the areas they have been in are clean as a bell. These guys like to crawl outta the water some, but I have never found one that "jumped ship." These are great snails, but also have trouble turning themselves back over.

Nass Snails
They mostly stay in the sand, but will sometimes make short trips up the glass. They are mainly detritus eaters and do an excellent job cleaning and shifting the sand. I think these are also some of the most hardy snails out there. These guys can flip themselves upright very easily and quickly.

Turbo snails..
Super fast grazer that will knock out some algae in no time. They mostly stay on rocks and glass, but will work the top of the sandbed too. They are cold water snails that don't always do so well in a reef. But, once they are adjusted... they seem to be very hardy and active.

Conchs
Conchs eat diatoms algae that grows on live sand beds. Fighting Conchs will bury themselves in the sand bed and clean the upper layers. These guys are all about the sand bed and are very cool to watch. They usually don't get flipped over, but if they do, they can kick around and turn themselves back upright. They very hardy too.

Based on that...I would add the Nass and the Conchs first. Nass are great for the general clean up and the conchs will target the diatoms that new tanks are prone to.

HTH

Squishy

In FW we get lovely nematodes inside shrimp like this:
1726bigghost.JPG

:lol:

How long does it take for the diatoms to run their course?

They are covering my LR, is this going to hurt it?

How long does it take for the diatoms to run their course?

That really depends on the amount of nutrients they have to burn up and whether or not you are adding more nutrients via tap water. Ususally a few weeks. Once your cycle is complete herbivorous snails will help quite a bit.

I have been checking with my LFS on getting the above listed snails. For I always ge the same awnser from them we "We will look into getting them for you". The first few times I heard this I was ok with it and realized it may take a while. Eight weeks later, same old well check story. So my question is are there any reputable on-line retailers of the above listed snails? Also what do you guys think of these for a 30 gal. clean-up crew?

Thanks,
Andrew

I have made two orders from eTropicals.com for clean up crew members. The beauty is that the stuff is LiveAquaria.com quality(same company) but they have a build your own package with free shipping at only $60. So far the snails have been great and I am thinking of making 0X order #3!

Back
Top Bottom