QT Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adam1103

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I set up a QT tank last night. A ten gallon tank with a hang on back filter. So here's my question. While doing some research a lot of people say to take a small amount of substrate from my main tank and place it in a small bag and place into my filter of the QT tank. Also to remove all carbon and just use some floss. So if I do this and add copper based meds for ich wouldn't that kill the bacteria in the substrate?

A qt should have no live rock or sand in it as dosing meds will leech into the sand and rock making it unuseable in the future.

Alot of people just throw an extra filter on their main tank and when they need a qt they just pop it over to the qt tank. thats what I plan on doing.

So I I took my filter and put it on my main tank and then had to use it on my QT, and used the meds for ich. That would kill the bacteria on the filter. So I wouldn't want to take that and put it back on my DT. I know I could just try the hypo way and I would assume that wouldn't destroy the bacteria on the filter. But if I chose to go with the med route would I just leave the filter on the qt and just monitor the water more? Do more pwc to make sure no problems?

Thats what i would do if I were in this situation. I've never had to treat before so I don't know about the bacteria on the filter. But i do know if youre treating with copper you have to monitor the water very carefully for copper concentrations. It's vital. Not enough copper and its not effective too much and you can kill the fish. :-( I guess thats why more people go with the hypo treatment it seems.

I guess this is where all my confusion is. I've heard of people using there qt with the meds and after they just empty the tank and let it set until they need it again. They just use filter floss for large detritus. So if you do pwc every other day would there really be a need for the tank to cycle? Especially if your not doing the hypo treatment and the copper would kill off any bacteria growing anyways. So confused lol!

Back
Top Bottom