QT Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

143gadgets

Aquarium Advice Activist
After putting fish into the QT for about 2-3 weeks what do I do once the 3 weeks is over? Can I leave the tank running or should i break it down and sttore it somewhere? I would like to leave it running. Even though my main tank is not finish cycling can i put a couple of 1.5" perculas in the QT? By the time the main is finished it will be time for the fish to come out of the QT. What are ur opinions? TIA

Keep them there another week (at least), then break it down and store it.

Yes, to adding the percs to the QT now. Just keep up with water changes and keep testing the water parameters.
Do you have a bio filter established in the QT yet? If not, then you wil be using the percs to cycle the QT. You will need to stay on top of water changes, like 10-20%/day in the QT.

Check out this article on Quarantine.

The filter that i have on the QT Is from a previous freshwater tank that i just broke down. It is a whisper 60. One thing i noticed is that the water is a little cloudy. What do u think the problem is?

I just tested the param. o QT.

PH=8.4
Am=0.50ppm
Nitrite=0ppm
Nitrate=10ppm

is this ok to add a fish to this qt tank

Did you change the media on the Whisper?
I would use fresh media.

Ammonia of .5 is high enough to stress the fish. Test daily for a few days and possibly try some small (10%) water changes.

Cloudy water is most likely a diatom bloom which is quite normal in a new tank.

no i kept that same media. I i put in new media in the QT filter i wont have any bacteria the convert the ammonia that is produced when i put the fish in should i change out this media? I will do a 10% change today.

I beleive the bacteria are differnet in marine and FW systems. Might have cuased the bloom too. I'm not sure that keeping it in there will hurt anythng now.

I'd keep the tank running and toss in a Chromis or a hearty fish... It's a pain to keep getting the QT out every month or so just to add something new...

I am playing with fire in my tank. Was tired of the whole QT thing... My fish go right in the main tank... 0 problems so far and it's been a year. I know one day it's gonna bite me but untill then...

I would jsut keep the filter in there and test the water. I like the idea of keeping the QT running with a single chromis. I think I'll use my original one if I can get him out of the main tank. He's the survivor of the 4 that went into that tank first. :oops:

Ok i am going to get the cromis tomorrow should i put just a little aragonite on the bottom to stabilize the water parameters. that way i won't have to change the water everyday.

Back
Top Bottom