Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-09-2003, 03:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

QT tank

I am trying to do everything right the first time so I don't throw away a bunch of money and my questions are piling up....Good thing for this site. My next question is... What size QT tank do I need, what hardware will I need for it, and do I cycle it along with my display tank when I start, or do I just add water from my display tank once it is cycled.

Thanks....more questions to follow!!

Old 08-09-2003, 03:16 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to astride13
I also am interested in this answer. I bought a 10gal. to set up as a QT tank. Some say 50% water changes when fish are in it, live rock, no rock, water flow, low flow, extra lighting, no lighting....ahhh..am I going crazy!

Old 08-09-2003, 03:18 PM   #3
steve-s

Read >>this<< article. I think it really covers all of your concerns..

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-09-2003, 03:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the link. I still have a couple questions though : ) Does the QT need to be completely full or will around half do? I am just thinking that if I fill a 10G tank with main tank water, I'm down to 36 G in my display. Do I fill the QT right before I would do a normal water change in my display tank, that way it would be water that I was taking out anyway.
Old 08-09-2003, 04:12 PM   #5
steve-s

It's best to fill the QT as it will provide much more water volume and help with water quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-bass
Do I fill the QT right before I would do a normal water change in my display tank, that way it would be water that I was taking out anyway.
Using the water you syphon from the main tank during the water change would be the best bet for filling the QT. It will help match ph, salinity and start at a better temp as well. There will be less adjustments needed if transfering a fish you already have. If introducing a new fish, hopefully it will be entering the QT with better water quality than it left.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-09-2003, 04:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

You mentioned starting with 2 percs... Can I QT them together....this would defeat the purpose wouldn't it? BTW, the benggai cardinal is my damsel replacement... although I really like the domino damsel... Why do they gotta be so bad!!!
Old 08-09-2003, 04:29 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-bass
You mentioned starting with 2 percs... Can I QT them together....this would defeat the purpose wouldn't it?
Not sure what you mean by "defeat the purpose" but QTing the two clowns together and intruducing them at the same time would actually yield the best results and chances of them becoming a pair.

Quote:
BTW, the benggai cardinal is my damsel replacement... although I really like the domino damsel... Why do they gotta be so bad!!!
Is the Bangaii a future fish purchase or is it in the tank already?
As far as the Domino goes, they are probabley the absolute meanest of the damsel species besides the fiji blue devil. The are increadibley nasty, territorial and once grown will often not be able to be housed with any other fish. Stear clear of those puppies.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-09-2003, 04:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

No fish yet...still a plan in the making. I like to have everything all mapped out.... you know, have a plan of attack (with some room for variation of course) : )

Tags
qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com