Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to Viperboy
QT Tank

Ok so since i cant seem to keep any fish that is free swimming (have lost 3 clownfish, 2 six lines, and a firefish) so far i have decided to set up a QT in hopes of reducing loss and actually getting some fish that i can keep long term. My plan is to setup one of my FW 10gals that i am taking down as a QT for my SW reef. I will take out the gravel and put in maybe about an 1" of sand just to have some .... put in a piece of LR or two (however much i can get from brent) thats around 10lbs to 15lbs .... keep the internal filter i have on the tank now along with a tiny hob one for flow and add a maxi jet 600 i have onto it all ..... i also have a 28watt PC fixture im going to be putting over it so i can also not just use it as a QT but maybe a place to grow a couple corals also ...... this all sound like a good idea? .... what am i missing? .... any ideas or advice that would help out would be appreciated .... thanks

Viperboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:48 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
I wouldn't use the QT for anything other then QT fish/corals/mobile inverts. Using sand/lr is not recommended due to possible contamination if you have to medicate. Keeping your QT bare with PVC elbows for hiding and lights off most of the time is the best way to set one up. You will still either need to cycle the QT or use a cycled filter from your main.

The QT article goes into more detail.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree dont use sand or LR.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via Yahoo to alaher2
I agree also that there is no need to add any live rock/sand in a QT. Reason being is, if you do actually need to treat a fish with any sort of medication, it will just kill off the live rock. Really, what you need was mentioned earler and that is some PVC piping, which you can pick up at any hardware store.
alaher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I set mine up bare bottom w/elbows too. If you put a hob with clean filter pads on your main and let it run a few weeks it will seed and then you can move it to the qt and the cycle will be almost instant. I would only put one fish in that size tank at a time. How did you acclimate the fish you lost?
tmkx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
Well i have decided againist ur advice ... only because i am gonna use it to QT new fish for my main until it is stocked then im going to make a nano reef out of it ..... but i have discovered what my problem is in losing the fish and im suprised i didnt catch it sooner because it is so obvious .... i am still using tap water .... so i am in the works of buying a RO/DI unit as i type this ..... but i setup the 10gal with sand and rock a ph and a small hob so when i decide to get new fish for my 29gal (once i have done PWC with RO/DI water and all the tap is gone) i will keep them in the 10gal for a couple weeks and see how they are doin then transfer them over till the 29 is stocked .... i also dont plan on using any medication on the tank cause in my long itme of keeping fish i have never used any medication ... but thank you all and just thought id update yall on what i was doin ... i may even post some pics of it later

Old 11-21-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Did you just-

--Ask for advice
--Get four answers suggesting the same thing
--Then say "I don't like your advice so I'm going to do what I want to do anyway"?

Or do my eyes deceive me?

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 04:02 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Well... I'll chime in with something different, just to be different!

I've got a QT set up to house new arrivals as I stock my main tank. While it's bare bottom with PVC pieces, I do have a 5-6 lb chunk of live rock in there. It's just base rock, but at least it gives the new arrivals something else to look at other than PVC. The royal gramma that's in the QT now really likes it! But as far as using that rock elsewhere, it's only purpose is to stay in the QT. If I have to use copper sometime, I'll just throw it away afterwards.

But I will agree with everyone else on one point - I'd sure leave the bottom bare for now if I was you. Two reasons: (1) it's easier to keep the water parameters great by sucking out the gunk now and then off the bare bottom. In a smaller QT, it doesn't take much to get your nitrates up there. And (2) I didn't plan to use meds in my QT tank either, but I did. SW fish are a bit touchier to stress than FW. Substrate just adds one more thing that can interfere with the meds in a way you can't predict. Adding sand later is easy enough.
Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:00 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak
sorry if i was mean that was not my intention and im not gonna be dumb and make a comment back at you because no thats not what i did because it wont be a QT once i stock my 29gal it will be my place to put other corals and things like that sort of like a frag tank ... and my whole intention of starting the QT was to reduce my loss of fish which i have found out is due to something other than not having a QT

Old 11-21-2006, 08:01 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey ray, sorry to hear of the loses you have experienced. I know it is frustrating. The first question that needs answering is why you have realized so many deaths. There are several possibilities and I am not sure a QT is the only answer. Don't get me wrong, I advocate using a QT tank whenever possible, but also understand that not everyone has this option. I suggest you turn your attention to your main tank and acclimation process. Please refresh our memory on the tank's history (age, cycling process, water parameters, filtration) and let us know how it is doing now. Any livestock in it now?

A RO/DI system is one of the best investments you can make in the SW hobby. However, I do not feel this alone would contribute to your fish lose. There is something else, I am sure.

I do not agree with your plans for your QT tank. Please remember that a QT is designed to be used short-term. While they do require attention, the use of good biological media (i.e. LS and LR) is counter-productive. Save that good media and money for your main. A QT tank should also be used for a hospital tank. Don't hand-cuff yourself to not using meds in your QT. That is partially what is for. If you have ambitions of starting a nano reef later, I suggest you concentrate on doing all you can to make your 29gal successful first. Good luck!

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com