Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-29-2003, 01:50 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Quaranteen Tank Question

Real quick . . .

The info on here says to buy a "sponge filter". What is a sponge filter? Can you give me a name brand or something so I can get an idea?

Does the quaranteen tank need to cycle? If I take 10 gallons from my current tank does it need to cycle?

After the fish leave the tank, do I keep the quaranteen/hospital tank running or take it down and only set it up again when I need it?

Does a quaranteen tank need a light?

Does a quaranteen tank need LR? I know it needs stuff for hiding, but does it need LR?

Thanks!

does a quaranteen tank need sand?

Old 08-29-2003, 10:25 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Quaranteen Tank Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwess
The info on here says to buy a "sponge filter". What is a sponge filter? Can you give me a name brand or something so I can get an idea?
There are many types available, here are a few, #1, #2, #3.

Quote:
Does the quaranteen tank need to cycle? If I take 10 gallons from my current tank does it need to cycle?
Cycling is not a neccessity but using the newly aquired sponge filter in the main tank for a week prior to set up of the QT will colonize necessary bacteria and promote a healthier environment. You should aslo make sure if copper basedmeds are used in the QT it is never placed back in the main tank. Using water from the main tank to fill the QT will help start of with a decent SG, ph and temp but will do nothing for the bacterial process.

Quote:
After the fish leave the tank, do I keep the quaranteen/hospital tank running or take it down and only set it up again when I need it?
Purely your choice.

Quote:
Does a quaranteen tank need a light?
No, in fact it can be harmful when treating eye problems. If anything a low wattage NO strip light could be used.

Quote:
Does a quaranteen tank need LR? I know it needs stuff for hiding, but does it need LR?
No and it's not recommeded as it absorbs the meds that may be used hampering treatment. Most if not all meds will also kill everything in the LR except bacteria unless using anti-biotics. Same goes for the sand.

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-29-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to toddwess
Awesome advice and help, Steve! Thanks! I got all the stuff I need, and the filter is hangin' on the sump as we speak.

Thanks!

Todd

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com