Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quarantine and pre-emptive medication

As I mentioned in another thread I have my tank moving along the cycle and I've set up my QT and added a pair of clownfish. I brought them home and did the drip acclimation for just over an hour. Netted them then placed them in the QT. My biggest worry from all that was that they might not eat. Well, they gobbled everything up. I waited 24 hours before feeding them.

So the question now is do you medicate them just in case? I know that there are diseases that are more common to specific species but should you treat them for it? One of the members here sent me an really good article on QT and how if the parasites, like ich, are never introduced into your display tank then the fish in there will never get ich. I think it makes sense.

So in a long winded way what I'm asking is do I medicate the clownfish in the QT? Also I know you are never supposed to put the LFS water in the bag with the fish into any of your tanks but at some point when you are netting the fish some is going to stay on your net. Then some from your QT will stay on when you move them to your DT. I guess that's just the way it is?

Thanks...Steve

Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe I was a little vague in what I was asking for. So how about I just go with...does anyone medicate quarantine fish whether they need it or not? What do you use?

Steve

Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Some do and some don't. I preferred not to. ALso, don't worry about that little bit of water in the net. Even still, I know plenty of folks who don't believe in using nets anyway. They just reach in and grab them - wlll, excpet for tangs and fang blennies.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Quote:
wlll, excpet for tangs and fang blennies.
and lions. lol don't grab them either
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Basically my QT goes something along these lines: Float newly acquired fish on water's surface for 5-10 minutes (QT tank). Put newly acquired fish in a bucket and test water for salinity. Stream acclimate for 30-45 minutes and then empty bucket until there is only about 3g of water remaining. Add airstone with rigorous flow and add enough Formalin for a short term bath (30-60 minutes - DO NOT WALK AWAY!!!). If fish begin to overly stress or time is up, add to QT. If you want to rinse them first you can have a bucket of clean saltwater available. The fish are then subjected to copper or chloroquine, formalin/malachite green, and praziquantel throughout a 4-8wk period.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are your clowns tank raised or wild caught?
Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks. They are wild. What about the Kent Rx-P?

Steve
Old 10-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Other than Chloroquine, I steer away from any medication a company labels "better than copper." Need to know ingredients, but probably not worth the money/effort.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

For wild caught a profulaxtic teatment would be wise, but tank raised I would have my doughts as to putting them through the stress.

Tags
medication, quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com