Quarantine Corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNEMO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just wondering how many people QT corals? If so, for how long. Do you dip them before they go in the QT? I have a 20 gallon Q tank with a Eclipse hood with a small fluorescent light. Won't the corals die if they don't get enough light??

How many Corals should I put in a Q Tank. I am ordering them from LiveAquaria.com and want to get 4-5 to help lessen the shipping costs per item.

Any suggestions on first time corals?

I have never QT a coral... I drip acclimate for at least an hour and place it in the tank...actually, this is the first I heard of QT'ing coral...or I don't remember hearing it anyway... :mrgreen:

Softies like shrooms and zoos, a few leathers, xenia, would be good ones to start with....

BigNEMO said:
Won't the corals die if they don't get enough light??

Yes they will, coral generally require a decent amount of lighting. I"m not sure if your fluorescent light will be enough, especially for some of the high light demaning ones.

jamal-188 said:
BigNEMO said:
Won't the corals die if they don't get enough light??

Yes they will, coral generally require a decent amount of lighting. I"m not sure if your fluorescent light will be enough, especially for some of the high light demaning ones.

mushrooms would be fine with a couple fluolesent bulbs, but since you have only one and its on a 20 gal im guessing its only 20watt not even 40watts so it might be risky.

The 20 gal is the QT. Since it appears that corals don't need QT'd than the lighting of the 20 gal seems non-important.

I would guess that the main tank is up to par ...

Some of the Hard Core reefers out there do QT corals as there is some things that can come in on corals.. Preferably with the Euphillias species They can get a brown slime desease and it very suceptable to infect all others of the same species.. Most Hard Core Reefers QT everything... Acropora is also suceptable to get some parasites.. My personal opinion Only QT fish.. Now I believe if I remember Right alot of the Good Drs out there are trying to get ppl to QT corals but who really has enough money to setup a QT tank with lighting that most corals Need..

HTH,
James

Just read in Eric Bornema's book " Aquarium Corals", that you should QT all corals. One week is standard and the low light from a small flourescent bulb is O.K. for the first week.

Back
Top Bottom