Quarantine Process for Powered Blue Tang Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Dai Phan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

After watching the PBT in the dealer tank for over two weeks, I decided to try this beautiful specimen. I got a 10 gallon tank with basic HOB filter and filled it up with water from the main tank. Readings are WNL except for Nitrate which is at 3 ppm. I put in a big piece of LR and some red algae. Per recommendation of the LFS, I was advised to use "Ick-Attack" instead of "Cooper-Safe" since the later will contaminate the main tank when the fish is transfered (even without water from QT) as I was told. This morning, he got ICK all over and the bottle says that it is reef safe with "herbal" ingredients. I have never had any luck with herbal stuff so I think Coopersafe may be more effective? So should I leave this alone or should I replace with some water (new or from main tank?) then try Coppersafe?

I know I am gonna to take a beating at this but my main tank is as follows:

1. 125 gallon with 20 gallon Sump (red and green Caulepra algae and 24 hours lighting).
2. Marine land 100 gallon rated skimmer, 3 Kora powerheads, 3 blue and 3 white T5 bubs (Nova extreme).
3. 3 Toad stools, one candy cane, one pulsating xena, 3 finger corals, 2 green bulb looking corals, one green star polyp.
4. 4 green chromis, 8 yellow tail damels, 1 yellow wrasse, one blenny, one foxface, 4 tomato clowns, one Pajama cardinal, one mardarine fish, one fire shrimp, 2 cleaner shrimp, two urchins.
4. 20 gallon PWC every two weeks.

The highest Nitrate ever recorded is 20. Everytime, after PWC of 20 gallons, the Nitrate drops to 3 ppm. There corals are doing fine except the Toadstools that at time go into retreat for many days. There are pink algae all over the rocks and thriving. I give Iodine drop every other day.

OK, with that please advise me on my QT protocol and comment on my set up with the future PBT tenant. Thanks Dai

What size is the tang. 10g seems awfully small. With a fish and food added, I think you're in for a constant battle with the nitrates. Are you testing for ammonia also? I would for the heck of it.

BTW, why are you dosing iodine? A good rule of thumb IMO is not to dose anything you cannot test for. Rely on your water changes more for those supplements.

I think you've picked one of the most sensitive tangs. Any stress at all seems to spot them right up so I hear.

What size is the tang. 10g seems awfully small. With a fish and food added, I think you're in for a constant battle with the nitrates. Are you testing for ammonia also? I would for the heck of it.

BTW, why are you dosing iodine? A good rule of thumb IMO is not to dose anything you cannot test for. Rely on your water changes more for those supplements.

I think you've picked one of the most sensitive tangs. Any stress at all seems to spot them right up so I hear.

The tang is 4 inches. I was told to dose "Iodine every other day and do it consistently..." Bad advise? Can you outline a correct QT protol for the PBT? Thanks Dai

Yes. Bad advise on the iodine. Unless you're doing SPS and need calcium dosing, I'f rely ONY on your partial water changes to replenish your vital nutrients.

4 inches is a fish worth about a 29g tank in my opinion. Same footprint as a 20g, but more forgiving water volume.

You're not only QTing this fish now, but you gotta treat for the ick. Hyposalinty is recommended a lot. I've never done it. Check out the articles section at this site. I believe it has articles on both. QT tank and hypo treatments

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/articles/articles/15/1/Marine-Ich-or-White-Spot-Disease-/Page1.html

Back
Top Bottom