Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-31-2009, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quarantine question

Im going to set up a quarantine tank but here is my question and probably a studid question. Im going to use an old fluval canaster filter for my QT but i do not want to keep it up all the time. So, do i have this right in that i should just buy some sponge media to put in my display tank to establish it then when im ready i just put it in my fluval. What kind of media should i use i was thinking of those ceramic rings by fluval or should i use a sponge filter. these filter media are going to be going in my canister filter on my main tank and this is why i dont want to put a sponge filter in there due to catching debris in the main causing nitrate problems later. So will these ceramic rings provide enough bacteria for my qt. And also once i am done with my QT should i just throw away the filter media in the QT and begin new stuff in my main tank for later use in my QT.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Thanx but no.....

How bout this, my Fluvals came with an abundance of ceramics.. I mean enough to build a small city. MY first suggestion would be to run the canister full time on your sump with just the ceramics and then move to the qt but its not clear if you have a sump. Secondly I would pack in all the ceramics. When I needed QT, take one of the baskets of ceramics out, and into the QT. When done with QT; clean, chlorine , dechlor, dry and put back in the can to reseed until the next time ...

Old 07-31-2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

No sump yet. So the ceramics would be sufficient for bacteria to run about a 30 gallon QT. you mean only run the fluval with one basket of Ceramics in it. and leave the rest of the ceramics in my Display tank.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:21 PM   #4
Thanx but no.....

I may have made a bad assumption, so let me restate..

Assumng you are using the Fluval for filtration on your main,

I am suggesting.. loading it up (2 baskets at least) with ceramics. When you need a qt, remove on basket and put it in your QT with a powerhead. That puts a good amount of bacteria in your QT. When QT ends, sterilize the ceramics and put them back in the can to reseed from your main.

If the canister is an 'extra' filter on the main, do the same except move the whole dern thing instead of just a basket.
Old 08-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

sterilize do you mean boil them cuz i know some people use bleach but im not into using bleach on it if im going to put it back in my main tank to seed it self again
Old 08-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Thanx but no.....

why not? just soak in a dechlor solution afterward ....

so, not i don't mean boil but you can use the cleaning method of your choice
Old 08-01-2009, 02:38 PM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I agree with the captain. You can use bleach. Just let it air dry and the bleach will be gone or as captain said just use dechlorinator.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I would not just let the bleach air dry as residues will remain. Either rinse extremely well or use sts (sodium thiosulphate) for virtually instant dechlor.
Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

how about a bunch of prime by seachem
Old 08-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Prime doesn't remove bleach nor do most aquarium dechlors., just chlorine, chloramines, and NH3 (binds them). If you can't find sts then just rinse extremely well.

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quarantine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com