Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quarantine question

I'm afraid I did things backwards. I brought home the quarantine supplies with my new fish. Now I'm reading I should have been soaking my filter in my sump for a few weeks so it can transfer the BB to the QT. I have extra live rock down in my sump. Since I didn't soak any type of filter, can I put some live rock in the QT until the new filter has time to get some BB going? Then I would remove the live rock before I dosed with any medication. Is it too late to use the QT with this fish? Should I just put him in the DT?

Old 08-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can set up the QT with out any seed You just need to be ready with a few water changes because it will cycle. The WC's will keep things in check. If you use any live rock dont return it to the main system, you could bring any thing back into it.

If it were me i'd just set the QT up and do water changes until things settle. I run a small HOB in my sump i keep it filled with filter-floss this way i can set up my QT and not have a cycle after im done with QT i replace the floss after cleaning the HOB then back on the sump it goes until next time.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good point on the rock, Grizz. I wish I'd read this sooner.

I panicked and put the coral beauty in my DT because I was afraid he'd been in the bag too long. Now I'm wishing I had put him in QT. I think I see white spots although they don't look like ich. It looks more like the dark blur part of him is glistening with tiny sweat bubbles.

Should I try to catch him and put in QT now? If he has something wrong with him is it too late?
Old 08-12-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once it's in the DT it's to late better just to closely watch and make sure things are okay Trying to remove him now will stress the whole tank and could cause more problems. Id set up a QT just in case then if you do get an out break you can treat as needed

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

You can remove the filter media from your existing filter and put that in your qt then lust replace the old with new. Also if its not to hard I would remove that fish if you suspect he might have something because if it breaks out in your dt you'll really have a problem.
Old 08-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

By filter media do you mean the sponge that is in the sump?
Old 08-12-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

No the floss in your filter if you have any but you could use the sponge also

Tags
quarantine, question

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

« Coral | Cheato »