Quarantine Response

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salty

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is a real quick and easy question to Reefrunner's quarantine sticky. Hey Kevin do you light your Q-Tank? I have heard both sides. Some say light it and some say don't. What is you method?

I did not light my tank for the first few days of quarantine. After 3-5 days I would put the tank on the same schedule as the main tank. It is not necessary to light the tank, I just didn't want more stress issues when I moved the fish to the main tank, and all of a sudden it is "surface of the sun bright" compared to the dark tank it just left.

What type of lighting would you use when you switch to the main tanks lighting pattern?

hmmm, I didn't change the pattern on the main tank. When I lit the q-tank, I put the q-tank on the same schedule as the main tank.

I used a 20L for quarantine and to light it I used a 20W URI actinic white bulb. basically a URI 50/50.

I have got a 65w pc 50/50 bulb lying around. I was thinking of using that. Too much you think?

I follow you on the lighting sch. I didn't mean to confuse you.

Doubtful that it is too much light, if you notice that the fish darts for cover when the lights come on, use something to block some of the light, and slowly remove it over the course of the quarantine. For me it was all about making the fish comfortable. I rarely had to medicate, just being left alone to acclimate was usually enough.

Just a couple more questions. If I don't use any light will three weeks of no light be a problem? Also what about heat? Iknow in FL we don't need heaters mostly, but like now in the winter can I add a small heater to keep the Temp stable?

Unless the tank is in an unlit room with no windows, I don't think you'll have a problem. I don't run any lights on my predator tank, all it gets is ambient room light and they do just fine. On the heat issue, I have noticed the need for a heater alot more recently, since I moved further north in the state, and I would agree that a heater is a good idea (actually I'd say it is a must have and will alter the sticky to reflect that).

Back
Top Bottom