Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I personally just run a bare bottom 40g Breeder as my QT. I dont' keep it running 24/7. I buy a few packs of sponge filters and let them sit in the sump of my DT. When I need to QT, I basically do a water change on the DT and use the old DT water into my QT and use one of the sponge filters to run on the HOB in the quarantine tank.

If you haven't already, check out cupramine (or some other copper medication) as well as prazipro. Both medications are pretty good as covering your basics in the QT.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long before you bring something home should you set up the tank?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydxmas View Post
How long before you bring something home should you set up the tank?
You can set it up when you get home with the fish from your LFS. If you know you'll be bringing fish home you can set the QT up before you leave etc.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Another peice of helpful advice that I learned along the way: get your QT going a few weeks before you are ready to add any fish to your DT. I had to do an emergency quarantine and when i moved the fish to the QT many suffered and died because it had to cycle just like any new tank. I got torn between letting them stay in the DT that had been exposed to ich by a new fish and letting them move to a QT where I could medicate them. Neither was a good option!

When you set up your DT, toss a sponge from a sponge filter into your sump. I've just decided to keep one in there any time I don't have a QT going. Let it sit there until you are ready to start stocking then get the QT going, assemble the sponge filter and make sure it cycles before you buy anything. If you follow a quatantine procedure that most recommend, DON'T put anything ( rock, sponges, filters, decorations) from the QT into your DT. The copper from the medications will ruin your live rock in the DT.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

How long should new fish stay in quarantine?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

I like to QT new fish for 4 weeks min.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Should I put a cleaner shrimp through QT or a dip of any kind or just acclimate to temp and drop him into the DT?

I am very nervous about ich after my last bout with it and working to hard to let the tank lie fallow before adding anything back.

I don't think shrimp carry the parasite, but do I run any risk of transferring it with the water, even a few drops that would be on the shrimp?
Old 12-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Drip acclimate the shrimp then add it to the DT ich don't effect inverts so you'll be safe

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com