quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lloydxmas

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have been doing tons orly research before my wife and I start our tank as well as ask a couple question on this forum but the idea of a quarantine tank confuses me. I know they play an important step into making sure your main display stays healthy. How do you set one of these up quickly or do most people just have a cycled second tank just running 24/7?

Most people have extra tanks that they set up when necessary. I myself have one that I run 24/7. Get yourself a 20 gal. tank get a hob filter a heater a couple of pieces of pvc pipe for hiding and you'll be set up. Watch for ammonia and nitrite build ups as it won't be cycled so you'll need to do water changes a s needed. Others may have other things to add.

So live sand and rock isn't needed for a quarantine tank? It's basically heated salt water?

I keep the black bio pad for my QT in my main sump. When I need a QT I set the tank up and add it to the filter. Boom, instantly cycled bio filter. Granted I still watch for any spikes in case the BB is not enough for the bioload in the QT.

Do you use fresh mixed Rodi water or water from display tank?

Ingy did have a good point that I forgot you can use a sponge or filter pad from your main tank to seed the qt.

When I recently QT'd my new tang, I added some rock rubble from my sump. As long as you don't carry out any treatments it's OK. But if there ends up being an outbreak of ick in the QT, don't put the filter and rocks back into the DT or sump. They may be contaminated with ick. I would leave them out and let them dry for a couple months to kill any issues before adding them back to the system.

I personally just run a bare bottom 40g Breeder as my QT. I dont' keep it running 24/7. I buy a few packs of sponge filters and let them sit in the sump of my DT. When I need to QT, I basically do a water change on the DT and use the old DT water into my QT and use one of the sponge filters to run on the HOB in the quarantine tank.

If you haven't already, check out cupramine (or some other copper medication) as well as prazipro. Both medications are pretty good as covering your basics in the QT.

How long before you bring something home should you set up the tank?

Another peice of helpful advice that I learned along the way: get your QT going a few weeks before you are ready to add any fish to your DT. I had to do an emergency quarantine and when i moved the fish to the QT many suffered and died because it had to cycle just like any new tank. I got torn between letting them stay in the DT that had been exposed to ich by a new fish and letting them move to a QT where I could medicate them. Neither was a good option!

When you set up your DT, toss a sponge from a sponge filter into your sump. I've just decided to keep one in there any time I don't have a QT going. Let it sit there until you are ready to start stocking then get the QT going, assemble the sponge filter and make sure it cycles before you buy anything. If you follow a quatantine procedure that most recommend, DON'T put anything ( rock, sponges, filters, decorations) from the QT into your DT. The copper from the medications will ruin your live rock in the DT.

Should I put a cleaner shrimp through QT or a dip of any kind or just acclimate to temp and drop him into the DT?

I am very nervous about ich after my last bout with it and working to hard to let the tank lie fallow before adding anything back.

I don't think shrimp carry the parasite, but do I run any risk of transferring it with the water, even a few drops that would be on the shrimp?

Drip acclimate the shrimp then add it to the DT ich don't effect inverts so you'll be safe

Back
Top Bottom