Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Quarantine Tank Help

I've set up a 15 gallon QT tank this is what it contains:
1.5 inch live sand bed: crushed coral
2 pieces of live rock from dt tank
2 small lava rock w caves to hide in
100 watt heater
Full spectrum t8 12" bulb
Hob filter: no carbon.

My plans are to keep 2 small fish in it at all times to reduce the possibility of the tank recycling. I had two damsels die within 48 hrs. Parameters are perfect; I used filter media from 2.5 month old dt tank. Not sure what went wrong. I plan on doing a 40% water change and trying again.

Is this a good route to go for a qt tank? It's a nice tank and its my room so I'd like to keep fish in there not only for the cycle but for the enjoyment too.

If my fish require treatment, I have ICH attack, an herbal treatment. And cupramine.

I know qt are supposed to be bare, but I wouldn't mind a nice functioning small tank, since its in my room.

Thnx everyone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2374827376.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	135701  

nicolea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
a qt tank is meant to be taken down after qt is over no sand bed no live rock a heater a small filter and some place for the fish to hide. keeping fish in the qt tank will give the parasites a food source

Nosaj81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Additionally, sand and rocks can reduce the effectiveness of medications. I think you need to decide if you really want a QT or a second DT. or you can accept you really need both. 8D
Ingy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
A QT is to be used for treating new or sick fish. Most medications make anything you put in it like rock or sand contaminated and should NEVER be moved to your DT. Most medications contain copper and the rock or sand would hold that and putting it into the DT would possibly kill your inverts. There is also the possibility of moving any live spores to the DT and then you would have a real problem. I use a 10 gallon tank with a heater, a filter and a ceramic house with a large opening for the fish to hide in. When the fish are moved to the DT, the QT is disassembled and stays that way until the day before I decide to buy something else.
Why do I love fish? Because every time I stare into the little world I have created for them, every problem I have just floats away....
Retired_AF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
I keep my qt tank running 24/7 I keep a few damsels in there to keep the biological filter going. As for the sand I think I would remove it because it would absorb a lot of any meds you put in there, as for the rock I keep it in there to help with the bio the rock will absorb to but not like the sand. I wouldn't worry about transferring anything to the dt tank since they should all be dead from the medication.
tonedogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 01:40 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
+1 a qt tank is To house a six fish or a new fish, bare bottom heater and filter and something for fish to hide in leave live rock out and no sand medication can be absorbed, and fish will not get medicated as for new fish qt will help check on his progress with feeding and health before introduce to dt tank good luck on what u decide

solo is offline   Reply With Quote

quarantine, quarantine tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com