Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-22-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quarantine tank setup

I keep hearing I should quarantine my fish for 6-8 wks before introducing them to my 20 gal. If so, how large? Do I need to cycle it? Is it just water? Or do I use sand and rock? Etc etc etc. You are the experts, so I'm asking. Thank you

Old 01-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauramichelle
I keep hearing I should quarantine my fish for 6-8 wks before introducing them to my 20 gal. If so, how large? Do I need to cycle it? Is it just water? Or do I use sand and rock? Etc etc etc. You are the experts, so I'm asking. Thank you
I just use whatever I have on hand for me it's a 15 gallon qt I keep it cycled with guppies or move a filter from my big tank onto the qt when I need it. For a qt don't use any substrate so you can see the poop for signs of infection

Old 01-22-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes u need to cycle it as for taking a filter from one tank and putting on qt that will work but if you use copper meds don't put it back if u have inverts and corals as they are intolerable to copper
Old 01-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah I should have went into depth some more I have a big bag of filter media and a spare AC70 I run new media on my established tank for qt or new tanks if I use it on the qt I just toss it when I am done and put fresh media back in and run it on my established tank until its needed again
Old 01-23-2012, 12:20 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

So should I move water from my primary tank, say during a water change, over to the qt. Then move the "used" filter media over to the qt? Then start monitoring the cycle? No lv or ls? Will the good bacteria remain in the qt? Sorry for the questions but I'm really new at this. Thank you.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use my old water and filter media some may not but I don't keep my qt up all the time I only set it up when I'm getting new fish ... Some choose to use all new stuff water media etc ..... But I don't so your answer is yes you can as long as the water pars are good

Tags
quarantine, quarantine tank, setup, tan, tank setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com