Quarantine Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6eteeth

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've only been in the hobby for 5 months and I'm setting up a quarantine tank to add fish to my DT. This is what I've done so far. 10 gal with no sand or rock. It has a hob filter with no cartridge for flow and a heater. I since I was doing a water change on my DT I used that water for the quarantine tank. I put in a piece of krill for ammonia and it's been cycling for a week. My ammonia reading this morning was 0.25ppm so I still have some cycling left.

When should I take the krill out and is there anything else I should be doing?

get your self a cheap power head to use in the 10 add some PVC fittings to give fish a place to hide Then place the HOB on your main tank fill it with poly-fill it will give the bacti a place to breed Doing this will save you from having to cycle the QT tank.
Once you have a good bacti base in the hob (5-7 days) place it on the QT (instant cycle) When your done with QT'ing Clean everything then refill the HOB with new poly-fill and put back on the main tank to reseed. I keep a HOB on my sump just for a fast QT setup

What is a HOB. I'm guessing "hang on" but the B has me baffled. I'm also interested in quarantine / hospital tank info. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom