Quarantining new arrivals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CloudStrife

Aquarium Advice Activist
As I read in the book; The new marine aquarium by michael s. paletta (not trying to plug) has anyone used his method of quarantining new fish before adding them to the main tank? Also, how did you cycle the quarantine tank?

Cycling the same way you cycle a display tank, put a raw shrimp in the tank and let ammonia reach 4ppm

Quarantining...

As I read in the book; The new marine aquarium by michael s. paletta (not trying to plug) has anyone used his method of quarantining new fish before adding them to the main tank? Also, how did you cycle the quarantine tank?

I'm not familiar with this author or book but I can tell you from over 30 years of personal experience in marine fish husbandry, anyone who does not quaratine a new arrival is playing Russian Rhoulette with their tanks.
Marine fish can carry a multitude of internal diseases that you won't see on the outside. They are mostly found in or transmitted though the fecal matter. Not quarantining your fish for no less than 7 days does not allow your fish the chance to expell what's in them naturally or allow any medication used to kill off any internal parasites a chance to work.

Cycling a quarantine tank that is designed for a short term housing (ie. less than 10 days) is not necessary as your medications will require water changes during their treatment. Long term holding (ie for acllimating to food or wound repair after treatment) should be done as a regular tank. The word "Quarantine" just means separated from the main tank in this case. There are products that seed your tank (ie Frytzyme#9 or other similar products) or you can take some of the filtering material from your main tank to seed this "Holding "tank. Keep in mind that you want to have some life in this type tank at all times to keep the biological alive and active.

Hope this helps...(y)

+1 Andy
..The important thing about setting up QT is having a cycled piece of media(sponge or pad ect.) that is established in your DT or sump..Then you put that into your QT filter..You just make up a fresh batch of water and start it up.

Do you think it would work if I took an old 20 gallon and a hang on back filter and left it running on my sump and then just move it over to the 20 gallon when ever i get a new fish?

The best water to use...

Could you use water from a water change to fill a quarantine tank?

...is clean water. New, clean water. As I said in the prior post, when you are quarantining for a short time, cycling is not an issue. The water volume you use should be enough to hold the fish without going through the ammonia cycle (which usually takes about 4-7 days to begin. Most meds you will be using suggest a 25% water change after 2 or 4 days during treatment. )
When you are holding a fish for longer periods, this is no longer a "Quarantine" tank, it's a "Holding" tank and should be set up biologically just as you would your main tank.

Either way, your fish need clean water to be healthy. Water from a water change is not clean.

Hope this clears things up (y)

As I use my qt if you have a sump in do tank take a small bucket drill holes for water flow and keep live sand in it and that pretty much cycles the tank as for medication use glass bottom and water changes

My book recommends a sponge filter.. Can you make your own sponge for it? Or is that too difficult? Also, do you have to include LR in the QT tank or can you just have PVC and the sponge?

Back
Top Bottom