Quarantining Three Yellow Tangs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimes135

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I feel that three yellow tang would be a nice addition to my tank, and i also understand the importance of quarantining your fish. However, from my understanding the three yellow tangs should be introduced simultaneously into my 135 gal. however how would i quarantine these fish together when my quarantine tank is only 45 gal? Thanks for all the help.

You might want to think about adding just one at a time but when you add just cut off the lights and move some rock around so as to cut out the aggression. The only other thing would be to QT them but not as long as usual. Just enough time to watch them close to make sure you do not introduce anything to your tank.

If all of them are 3" or less then IMO the short duration of a QT is not too much stress in a 45 gal tank. Just make sure it's cycled well and has adequate bio-filtration to handle the load.

Are these the last fish you plan on putting in the tank? If not then I'd wait to add the tangs last due to aggression issues that yellow tangs can sometimes have towards new fish (this is what I've heard but not experienced myself) My YT loves all new additions :roll:

that makes sense.i also though about setting up three differnt quarantines. just go to petsmart and get 3 ten gallon aquariums and some crappy filters and set it up that way. my lfs will quarantine fish for me and they have so many tanks that they could quarantine them all seperatly, would that be the best thing to do? thanks for the suggestions.

If you trust your lfs to QT the tangs then I'd do that. I assume they have larger QT tanks and it would be less work for you :D

If you don't know the people at your lfs that well then I'd just do it in the 45 gal assuming your tangs aren't that large.

They can be nasty to any newcoming fish, not just tangs.

You sure you wanna do three yellows only??

I'd consider a yellow, a bristletooth (something more interesting than the yellow eyed kole IMO), and maybe another family. I like the purple. What else in in your tank BTW, and what else are you considering adding?

Here's my trio.

grimes135, I'm sorry, I split the last posts, where I kind of hijacked your original thread! I apologize!

Nice looking tangs Ray. I found my yellow eye kole to be very interesting thank you. LOL

tecwzrd said:
If all of them are 3" or less then IMO the short duration of a QT is not too much stress in a 45 gal tank. Just make sure it's cycled well and has adequate bio-filtration to handle the load.

I agree with this advice. If they are not too large and the filter is well cycled, a 45 should be large enough for a month or two.

grimes135 said:
i also though about setting up three differnt quarantines. just go to petsmart and get 3 ten gallon aquariums and some crappy filters and set it up that way.

Brand new filters would not be cycled and full of bacteria, so you would likely have serious ammonia issues if you went this route.

Back
Top Bottom