Quarentine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neeker4

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 2g tank left over that I used to have a beta in. I was wondering if this would be too small to be used as a QT for a 29g tank that is being set up to cycle now. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

depends on what you are putting in it , corals , and maybe a goby it would be fine short term but anything larger than a clown or more than one fish at a time it would be wayyyy to small ...:) if you can get a generic 10 and equip it then when you are done you can store your stuff in it ,and pull it out when needed .Even using a tote bin would work and is opaque and easy to store as well ...

I have seen people use the standard 5g buckets as well. It all depends on how long they will be in there and how closely you pay attention to it. 10-20 gallon tanks are really easy to find on places like craigslist, or Petco and other places have those $1/g tank sales that make it cheap. 2g is probably going to be to small for fish, but would be a good thing to have around for dipping corals or even brine shrimp/rotifiers/pod hatchery.

I have a question about quarantine tanks in general. I currently have just 2 clowns in my 40 gallon tank. They are doing great but I would like to get a quarantine before I add my next fish. What filtration do you need on a quarantine? Just like a standard cheap trickle filter? and would you need a light on a quarantine?

Always a good idea to have a QT tank. For anything you will put in the 40g, a 20g should suffice. QT tanks depend completely on the fish or species you are going to put in it. IE you can QT a clown goby in a 5 gallon but a sohal tang will need probably 50+ at minimum. You need the fish to be "happy" in order for them to be at a minimum stress level to recover.

For filtration, you will find a lot of different answers. Trickle filters or the standard HOB filters are a popular option, also a cycled sponge filter is another. A sponge filter is easy to leave in your sump/similar area and keep it cycled in case you need it for an emergency as well. If you use copper or similar meds, they are cheap to replace (you don't want to put them back in your DT) or you can keep them cycling somewhere isolated easily.

Lights on a quarantine i feel is personal preference. As long as it is an appropriate sized light, it shouldn't stress the fish, and wouldn't hurt IMO to get it used to your DTs light cycle.

Back
Top Bottom