question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

border324

Aquarium Advice Regular
i just started my salt water tank up for the sec time. the first i had major problems. now i think i am starting to have the same ones over. i just mixed my salt into my tank and i have a maxi-jet 900 mixing the water.my salt i use says that it buffers my ph to a 8.2 but its been 2 days and my ph is below 7.8. i have nothing in my tank to cycle it yet i have LR on its way. the only thing i have in my tank is 2 bags of carib sea aragonite, 1- 300 watt heater and a xp2 filter with just carbon in it. i have a protine skimmer but i have not put that on the tank yet.
how do i go buy fixing my ph
could my lights drop my ph that much? and do you leave your lights on at night or off so the fish can sleep? lol or does it matter.
thanks
michael

In the beginning stages of the tanks developement, ph is not really that important. Once the tank cycles then I would suggest more attention be paid to the chem.

That said though, water movement and gas exchange will normally be the greatest concern. Depending on how large the tank is, one MJ-900 may not be sufficient. Brisk surface aggitation and an unsealed top are best when trying to maintain proper ph. Trapped CO2 will be the biggest contributor to low ph. Do not rely too much on the flow from the XP caninster either. They are great for holding certain kinds on media but poor when used for circulation.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom