Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-06-2005, 11:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question

I have a question to keep salt water fish what do i need i have filterevery equipment is it only the salt that i need to get started i mean i dont want a reef or anything i just want the water to be salt water thats it nothing special i want to keep a clownfish and thats pretty much it what do i need to get started: )

Old 08-06-2005, 12:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What equipment do you currently have? What type of filtration are you going to use? What type of substrate are you planning on having? There is a bit more that goes into it, not just adding salt and calling it a SW tank.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:15 PM   #3

Ok i have a filter i might change it its a bit old i have decorations gravel everything. I have hood with incandesent light which suckks cuz it heats the water when its on and then the water cools down which is not good for fish.what else do i need i dont want a reef or anything just the fish. oh and m filter is power filter.: )
Old 08-06-2005, 12:16 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

What type of filter? The gravel will not work for SW. You need to use CC or LS. You can also consider doing a bare bottom tank, but this is more popular with reef set-ups.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:25 PM   #5

I am using a regular power filter it hangs from the outside sucks the water up and drops it back in it has been used so im guessing it may contain some bacteria for starting the cycle: )

So would taht be enough with what i already have i jsut want the fish no corals or anything like that
Old 08-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The first thing you need to do is go out and get a good book on SW tanks. I like "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner. It will help get you started. The filter will work, however, you will need to start with all new media. You can not use the same media you do for FW, the bacteria is totally different. It sounds like you really need to research a bit more before you jump in. Have you considered using live rock as a biological filtration media?
Old 08-06-2005, 01:52 PM   #7

Live rock is too expensive for me and i dont want to spend much money
i just want to be able to keep atleast one salt water fish even if it means making it barebottom i always wanted to keep sw fish: )
Old 08-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
You are not prepared for any saltwater endeavor if you do not want to spend any money....
Please use some basic punctuation in your posts. It will make it easier to read.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Honestly, I would skip SW. It does take a bit of money to do right. It does not have to break the bank, but it seems you are not willing to get even the most basic things to ensure your tank will be a success. Not a good philosophy to start out with.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #10

Lol its not that i dont want the things but i decided not to i am going to go to petsmart in an hour or so and i am gonna get the following

What i am getting Some decoration maybe i think i have enough though
1.Dechlorinator
2.Power filter
3.undergravel filter
4.air pumps
5.incandescent lights
6.Air stone
7.Masters freshwater test kit
8.thermometer

My tank currently has a power filter all the decorations and the hood thats it nothing else the water is aerated by the filter i left an inch if water out and it aerates the water just fine but i want an undergravel filter because my gravel looks clean but if you stir it a lil all the dirt comes out so yeah i need the undergravel filter

I currently have a goldfish and a betta an im gonna take them both out im
and im gonna put a tetra in there that i already have at friends house am about to go get it. i
but when i get the 55 gallon tank soon im gonna get the bacteria i need to have from cycling so i dont have to wait a month because it is refrigerated bacteria that u just put in and wait 2 or 3 days and add fish safely the only proven bacteria to work overnight thanks you : )

[/u]

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com