Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-20-2004, 10:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Question about adding fish

I am a ways from adding fish, but have a question (I hope this doesn't sound stupid)

My tank <29g> is cycling (week 4), and I was thinking about the fish I wanted to add. Right now I think I want the following

Firefish Goby
Ocellaris Clownfish (for my son)
Royal Gramma

I'm questioning the Royal Gramma, since my research shows it isn't very social. Can anyone suggest a fish that is as colorful but more social?

Anywho, my questions is in regards of how to add the fish. How do I add them? All at once (with proper quarentine) or one at a time (won't they think the entire tank is their territory)? I hope my question (or should I say questions) makes sense.

Old 03-20-2004, 11:12 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The royal gramma is fine as long as you don't put anymore of the same species in the tank. I forget what family they are from but they will fight with others of the same type. I have a strawberry in my tank. seems to be more "playful" than the royal I had and my Hatian anemone had a rather large lunch.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 01:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Royal Gramma (Gramma loreto) ... is a basslet, a.k.a. the Fairy Basslet. They don't like other basslets. The clownfish is actually a tough guy too, so you'd not need to worry about him anyways. The Royal Gramma should be rather peaceful to the others, they just don't like their own kind. It does prefer caves and the like, and it may hide from you (I don't know, I've never had one) but it really is a beautiful fish.
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

How should I had them to my tank? At the same time(after QT) or one after the other. Should there be an order?
Old 03-20-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, add the firefish or gramma first...probably gramma. Whatever the case, since clownfish are semi-aggressive, add him last, so that the other fish have established their domains and he'll feel like an outsider, making him less territorial. Sorry I forgot about your sequence question. HTH!
125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com