Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2010, 01:25 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Are you saying I have to cure the LR I make(portland, crushed coral, aragronite sand)before I put it in my tank? After the cement fully cures?

Old 02-17-2010, 01:34 PM   #12
is back to save the day!

Yeah that's what he's saying. As he stated before, even if you don't see it at first, the rock you made over time may begin to leach out chemicals. And forget about the pH.. the chemicals could be deadly to begin with. I mean.. you should be thinking better safe than sorry. You make rock for the tank.. and it winds up being the rock that KILLS your tank. Would not be a happy site..

Old 02-17-2010, 01:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to Aquarium1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Yeah that's what he's saying. As he stated before, even if you don't see it at first, the rock you made over time may begin to leach out chemicals. And forget about the pH.. the chemicals could be deadly to begin with. I mean.. you should be thinking better safe than sorry. You make rock for the tank.. and it winds up being the rock that KILLS your tank. Would not be a happy site..
+1
Aquarium1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

The process I was told was as follows: mix and pour into your molds. Let sit for 24 hrs. Take out of mold and place in container of tap water, big enough to fully submerge your rock. Let sit in water for 5-8 weeks changing the water every other day. After this time you start to test the pH. Once the pH of your tap water and the water in your container match, change the water one more time wait a week and test again. If everything still matches your good. So what you guys are saying is after that process I have to place the rock I made in a seprate saltwater tank and cure it as LR before putting it in my tank?
Old 02-17-2010, 01:54 PM   #15
is back to save the day!

All you're doing in that tap-water step is determining whether or not it is leeching any chemicals, and if it is, you want it all to leech out before you put it in your tank. That tap-water leeching step and curing rock are two totally different things. You even have to cure base rock before it goes in your tank, so there's no exceptions.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Huh? I think we're talking about different things here...

When the previous posts were talking about "curing", they were talking about the process of letting the dead stuff on the rock continue to die off until all the ammonia that it generated is gone. In the process, you build up the beneficial bacteria and you end up with cycled, "cured" live rock - which is really live.

If you're talking DIY live rock (which we are), then obviously there isn't anything alive on it to start with. So you won't have any die off. Once whatever chemicals leach out that need to leach out, and the pH of your "curing water" stabilizes, you can put it in the tank. You do NOT need to cure it and make it "live" using an ammonia source. Your display tank will do that for you.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks Kurt Nelson that's exactly what I needed to here, I was all sorts of missled and confused I think everyone was. I really hope that making the DIY rock goes good. Thanks again.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com