Question about adding to tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
My main question is if I can add more sand to my exsisting reef tank? The sand is not as deep as I want it. I was also wondering what else you can add to your exsisting tank? What should you not/never add to exsisting tank?

You can add sand but I would rinse it good and run it down a piece of PVC to where you want it. That would alleviate alot of the sandstorm.

The only thing I can think of that would go on the "never add to existing tank" would be uncured live rock - once the existing tank is cycled and has livestock in it.

[Well... I suppose there are obvious things that shouldn't go in a tank, like Windex, bleach, many medications (except in a treatment tank)... but I'm guessing you don't mean those things!]

Thanks, those were actually things I was looking for. I should have said it before but I'makin my own LR and I wanted to be sure I could just put it in when it's ready. The question before was too broad.

I don't want to assume anything, so I'll ask what might appear to be a dumb question. You're following some directions or a good DIY thread about the homemade rock... right? Never done it myself, but I know there's a cure time involved and you want to make darn sure whatever may leach out from the fake rock has leached out or your pH levels and everything else will go sideways on you.

Ya, after 5-8 weeks you test the pH. Once it stays the same as the water you've been changing with(usually your tap water), it's good to go. I just wanted to be sure I could put it right in my tank, seeing as it's related to LR.

I don't agree with the statement that you cannot add uncurred live rock. If added in small increments, there should be no problem and how else do you get it cured unless you buy it that way.

in a separate tank or rubbermaid tub.

What he said.

As far as adding uncured rock, I suppose it all depends on the size of the rock and the size of the tank and the existing bioload of the tank, and, and, and.... That's why I just stuck with the safe advice of "don't add it." Yeah... you can add it, but you'll only know if you added too much after the fact - when you're dealing with the mini-cycle.

Are you saying I have to cure the LR I make(portland, crushed coral, aragronite sand)before I put it in my tank? After the cement fully cures?

Yeah that's what he's saying. As he stated before, even if you don't see it at first, the rock you made over time may begin to leach out chemicals. And forget about the pH.. the chemicals could be deadly to begin with. I mean.. you should be thinking better safe than sorry. You make rock for the tank.. and it winds up being the rock that KILLS your tank. Would not be a happy site.. :(

Yeah that's what he's saying. As he stated before, even if you don't see it at first, the rock you made over time may begin to leach out chemicals. And forget about the pH.. the chemicals could be deadly to begin with. I mean.. you should be thinking better safe than sorry. You make rock for the tank.. and it winds up being the rock that KILLS your tank. Would not be a happy site.. :(

+1

The process I was told was as follows: mix and pour into your molds. Let sit for 24 hrs. Take out of mold and place in container of tap water, big enough to fully submerge your rock. Let sit in water for 5-8 weeks changing the water every other day. After this time you start to test the pH. Once the pH of your tap water and the water in your container match, change the water one more time wait a week and test again. If everything still matches your good. So what you guys are saying is after that process I have to place the rock I made in a seprate saltwater tank and cure it as LR before putting it in my tank?

All you're doing in that tap-water step is determining whether or not it is leeching any chemicals, and if it is, you want it all to leech out before you put it in your tank. That tap-water leeching step and curing rock are two totally different things. You even have to cure base rock before it goes in your tank, so there's no exceptions.

Huh? I think we're talking about different things here...

When the previous posts were talking about "curing", they were talking about the process of letting the dead stuff on the rock continue to die off until all the ammonia that it generated is gone. In the process, you build up the beneficial bacteria and you end up with cycled, "cured" live rock - which is really live.

If you're talking DIY live rock (which we are), then obviously there isn't anything alive on it to start with. So you won't have any die off. Once whatever chemicals leach out that need to leach out, and the pH of your "curing water" stabilizes, you can put it in the tank. You do NOT need to cure it and make it "live" using an ammonia source. Your display tank will do that for you.

Thanks Kurt Nelson that's exactly what I needed to here, I was all sorts of missled and confused I think everyone was. I really hope that making the DIY rock goes good. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom